S197 vs previous years

• Sponsors (?)

Now-now Dread let's not start killing a completely good thread as this would require Mrs. Locksmith to :lock: the thread and it has been really enjoyable and technical up until shooterm produced a little yellow spritzle for our Wheaties. :(

Perhaps you can reread your post and employ a little editorial skills somewhere around ooooooooo I don't know, say right after the period from sentence number 1, delete the remainder. Yeah! that would make this roll so much smoother. :D :D :rlaugh:

Thank you!

How exactly does the driver's race enter into it!?!? Hope it's a typo

I'd say the biggest thing depends on engine/trans and drivers race.

Did anyone else catch this??! :jaw: :OT: I hope this was a typo, otherwise I'd like to hear a detailed explanation of the benefits and disadvantages of each racial background. I'm very curious to hear. :eek: :mad: :flag:

I had one reasonably close race with a Fox body at the track, otherwise just seeing their times and other races has shown the S197 is definitely a leg up on the fox 5l. I've owned 3 Fox 5L before this too and can say despite being fast they aren't as technically sound as the S197. Part of what makes the Fox 5L feel so fast is just how disconnected they are as a car, it's that ability for the car to punish your bad driving that can make them quite fun.

In that one close race he'd been built up a bit (not sure what but at least intake, exhaust and maybe gears and while I tree'd him, had him by a fender to the 1/8th I just walked on him from there to nearly 2 lengths if I recall by the quarter.

Did anyone else catch this??! :jaw: :OT: I hope this was a typo, otherwise I'd like to hear a detailed explanation of the benefits and disadvantages of each racial background. I'm very curious to hear. :eek: :mad: :flag:

This is my first time on here since ealry Sat morning.
I did mean driver ability!!!!!!:nice:
I heard a comedian state, "I'm not a racist...I hate everybody equaly":rlaugh:

I was thinking about turning my sixer into a CS6, but it would cost at least $15k for the parts and god knows how much for the labor/paint. Even if I would uprade the essentials, CAI, tune, gears, exhaust, supercharger I'd still be looking at an upwards of $5k easy when it's all said and done. My $25k sixer is now a $30k sixer, which is approximately the price of an equivalent GT. Question is, how would my sixer stack up to a stock GT with said upgrades.

I think it comes down to patience, pay off the six then trade it in for something bigger :shrug:

Hi Dreadnaught,

I love the V6.

I've had V8s all the way up to the 429CJ.

Don't sell the V6 short.

Here's a buddy of mine's V6: :nice:

http://media.putfile.com/2007-07-22-BOMC-Ms-Scarlet

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6071299

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=6071301

It is trimmed out very nicely... even took 1st place in a Mopar-run car show!

Some of these V6s put out over 400HP... and one owner has gotten down into the 10 second 1/4 mile bracket.

I'm NOT saying I don't like GTs, love 'em too.

Just saying give the V6 a chance.

SOHC

so let me get this straight your asking what a s197 v6 couldnt beat? (except special edditions?) Man you are crazy thinking it could beat any previous model, v8 , non special eddition car. My gf has a 05 v6 auto, best it ran was a 16.33! Even a 96-98 non pi auto gt car would SMOKE that! I dont know whats up with a bunch of the s197 guys thinking they can smoke anything! The new 3v gt cars barely hang with the new edge 2 valve cars...think about it, you get a new 300hp motor but get a weight penalty of 250lbs more:shrug: I raced a 05+gt the other night in my STOCK 95 cobra and stayed door to door with him, i would have put mulitple car lengths on him in my 03 gt(has ran 13.30s)!

your girlfriend has an anomoly - a dog of a car. or, no offense, whomever was driving was terrible. we've already established that the s197s are faster than 16.33. as i mentioned in a previous post, there were a couple sn95's v6 sticks that ran high 14.9s. just jump over to the sn95 v6 forum and you will see how many are in the 15s stock, esp. lower 15s. i dont think anyone can argue the S197 sixers are faster than the SN95 sixers.

The new 3v gt cars barely hang with the new edge 2 valve cars...think about it, you get a new 300hp motor but get a weight penalty of 250lbs more:shrug: I raced a 05+gt the other night in my STOCK 95 cobra and stayed door to door with him, i would have put mulitple car lengths on him in my 03 gt(has ran 13.30s)!

Your argument is flawed. Your 03 GT may run 13.30's, but it is far from stock. I owned a 2000 Mustang GT 5-speed coupe that ran a best of 13.85 (and a back up run of 13.87) bone stock on the factory tires. Ran mostly 13.90's, though, wiht the occasional 14.00 depending on weather and traction. Most 99-04 GT 5-speeds ran high 13's to low 14's bone stock. My 00 GT weighed 3180 lbs per our local DOT scales.

My 07 GT Coupe is an automatic car (180 lbs heavier than a manual) and weighs 3,530 all stock. Bone stock S197 GT's run mid 13's (manuals) to high 13's (automatics) in the 1/4 mile, so while they weigh a couple hundred pounds more than an SN95 GT, the extra 40hp more than overcomes the weight difference. So, stock vs stock, the S197 GT is quicker than the SN95 GT.

Now, my 07 GT Coupe is lightly modded (see sig below), but has run a best of 13.32 @ 102 in the 1/4 mile on the factory tires and 13.28 @ 102 with drag radials. So, my heavy S197 GT Automatic is just as fast as your moderately modded SN95 Manual.

so let me get this straight your asking what a s197 v6 couldnt beat? (except special edditions?) Man you are crazy thinking it could beat any previous model, v8 , non special eddition car.

An S197 V6 Manual runs about 15 flat in the 1/4 mile (with some running 14.90's) bone stock. The typical 1994-1998 Mustang GT Automatic runs low 15's in the 1/4 mile, and the heavier convertibles are mid 15's in the 1/4 mile. This means that the S197 V6 Manual is quicker than some good old V8's produced in the not so distant past.

Dig back a few decades and there are plenty of V8 Mustangs that ran 16's or slower in the 1/4 mile that would be spanked badly by an S197 V6 Manual. For example, most any bone stock "C" code first generation 289 Mustang was a 16-18 second 1/4 miler. The V8 Mustang II's (1975-1978) were typically 16-18 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Even the Mustang II's with V8 and 4-speed manual were only good for 15.50's bone stock.

Modular2v, I love V8 Mustangs as much as anyone, but you gotta admit that the S197 V6 (especially with the manual trans) is a suprisingly good performer.

Here is the time slip for my '00 GT 5 spd with Flowmasters and lowering springs. I was no avid drag racer, but I feel this was a respectable run. I believe that may have been around a 14.0 run if it were the 1/4 mile:shrug:
View attachment 363671

Here is my quickest run with my '06 auto. Granted it has more mods, but is heavier and an auto. (#42)
DSC03308.jpg

Attachments

• Timeslip2.jpg
    Timeslip2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC03308.jpg
    DSC03308.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 72
So I was at a stop light last night; pulled up beside a fox body mustang with "5.0L" on the side of it. Definitly sounded like a 5.0 was under the hood. Now, I do not race...period. Anyways, he revs up, holds, and dumps it peeling out...I never budge - the fox moved pretty quick.

Now, here comes the question. Beside special editions Mustangs of days past, SVT, Cobra, Mach 1, etc., what stock past model year Mustangs could a stock S197 V6 NOT BEAT in say...a quarter-mile?

Not beat?...

Well anyone would be better off telling you what you can beat, I know I don't want to list every mustang except previous V6's and the 4cyl's

Even a non-PI GT is faster than you stock for stock, by about a half-second

Now the early to mid V8's (1982 had 157hp, 240tq) could be slower than you...