SAAC "Shelby" GT-40 Intake Cover...Rare?

jd-hart

Jun 29, 2005
Greensboro, NC
I am NOT looking to sell this item, just would like to know some more details behind it.

I received in a trade a GT-40 tubular intake cover/plate with the word "Shelby" on the front of it.

It has part number on back of: SAAC 9E434 MKI

Had never seen one before, and was wondering the history behind it.
Does anybody know anything about it?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

these mk1 are neat\
learn something new everyday here.
but it claims 295hp or did the poor audio quality and me watching sports center allow my ears to make something up...
i kknow it said 14.2 quarter....no way i know for a fact my rookie driving skills and maybe 250-285(its not impossible lol)whp could put down some 13's and its not unheard od to hit a 12.9 with the right grip and suspension with my mods. and 0-60mph 5.8seconds not bad for the old days but i sware a stock 5spd car with the right driver could match or beat 5.8s so whats the deal was this a underclaim by ford?

I think you guys are mistaken about his intake plate being from the SAAC MK1.

The intake plate used on the SAAC MK1 Mustangs is completely different. The intake plate says "SAAC" (the S looks like a cobra snake).

check out the picture below.

I've never seen a "Shelby" intake plate before :shrug:

Attachments

• SAAC Intake Plate.jpg
    SAAC Intake Plate.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 897
But it has a SAAC part number on the back....An aftermarket one wouldn't have that would it?

SAAC couldn't use the name Shelby on any of the cars because he was under contract with Dodge when these vehicles were being produced. Three versions were to be produced: MK 1, MK 2, and Super Snake. The initial response for these cars was so strong that Ford took note and came out with the Cobra in 1993. Ford, obviously, could build a car cheaper than any small upstart company and they did and prematurely ended the production of the Mk 2s and Super Snakes.

SAAC couldn't use the name Shelby on any of the cars because he was under contract with Dodge when these vehicles were being produced. Three versions were to be produced: MK 1, MK 2, and Super Snake. The initial response for these cars was so strong that Ford took note and came out with the Cobra in 1993. Ford, obviously, could build a car cheaper than any small upstart company and they did and prematurely ended the production of the Mk 2s and Super Snakes.

So this cover is a fake SAAC item?........:fuss:

So this cover is a fake SAAC item?........:fuss:

Maybe....or Maybe Not :shrug: How's that for a politcally correct response. :D

I guess it's possible that Shelby could have produced a run aftermarket plenum plates when his contract with Dodge/Chrysler expired. Don't really know???

All I can tell you is that the SAAC MK 1 project was approved by Carol Shelby but the cars could not carry his name since Shelby was obligated to Chrysler, producing performance Dodge Chargers, Omnis and even Dakotas.

Maybe....or Maybe Not :shrug: How's that for a politcally correct response. :D

I guess it's possible that Shelby could have produced a run aftermarket plenum plates when his contract with Dodge/Chrysler expired. Don't really know???

All I can yell you is that the SAAC MK 1 project was approved by Carol Shelby but the cars could not carry his name since Shelby was obligated to Chrysler, producing performance Dodge Chargers, Omnis and even Dakotas.

Thanks for the info. I will try to contact Shelby and see if I get anywhere......