Scarebird?

• Sponsors (?)

BottleFed70 said:
I'm interested in converting my 28spline 9" rear to disk, but unfortunatly the website doesn't really have much info on the conversion.

Yeah, it doesn't mention where the rotors/calipers/hoses come from for a rear setup. I'd be interested in doing the rear discs on my '68

68keyblr said:
Yeah, it doesn't mention where the rotors/calipers/hoses come from for a rear setup. I'd be interested in doing the rear discs on my '68
Email him. I emailed him my questions about the front disc kit and I had a great response in 2hrs. His website sucks, but the support seems great.

I'm firmly convinced that the Scarebird front disc setup has the granada swap beat 5 ways from sunday. All the parts are cheaper, and it's something like $150 cheaper than the granada swap, with all new parts, depending on what you'd pay for the intial granada pieces. Its also $225 cheaper than degins new granada stuff.

For the front disc kit:
uses mid 80s s10 4x4 calipers @11ea from rockauto
uses 68-69 Mustang rotors @38ea from rockauto
uses mid 80s Eldorado lines @ 14ea from rockauto
uses vintage ford MC @ 20 from rockauto
uses GM pads @ 15 from rockauto
uses the scarebird brackets @ $110

Bolt on, no hack converstion unlike the R&C RC132 kit, which is similar. No change in track width.
HTH
--Kyle
PS I believe the rear disc kit uses GM parts as well. For those of you who object to GM parts on a Ford, cry me a river, it's not like I'm dropping a 350 in the thing :D

Once you start with the mods, does it matter where the parts came from? Isn't the idea to make the car the way you want it to be?

I just do not understand why Scarebird elected to go with GM calipers as opposed to designing the brackets to hole ones from Ford. I do not do this kind of work so may be there is a technical reason.

It is amazing how much interest there is in the Scarebird bracket but so little feed back from users. I only know of one guy that admits to having the Scarebird units, and he was the gunnie pig for the first bracket. Wound up with GM rotors, so the design has changed since his install.

If you are that set on using Ford parts and want rear disks, do the Ultrastang rear disk conversion. It uses Lincoln Mark VII rear disks. Cores and replacement parts for those are inexpensive. For example, a pair of new rotors cost me $40 plus tax, so cheap I had them cad plated just for giggles.

5.0ina66 said:
Email him. I emailed him my questions about the front disc kit and I had a great response in 2hrs. His website sucks, but the support seems great.

I'm firmly convinced that the Scarebird front disc setup has the granada swap beat 5 ways from sunday. All the parts are cheaper, and it's something like $150 cheaper than the granada swap, with all new parts, depending on what you'd pay for the intial granada pieces. Its also $225 cheaper than degins new granada stuff.

For the front disc kit:

Bolt on, no hack converstion unlike the R&C RC132 kit, which is similar. No change in track width.
HTH
--Kyle
PS I believe the rear disc kit uses GM parts as well. For those of you who object to GM parts on a Ford, cry me a river, it's not like I'm dropping a 350 in the thing :D

He (Mark @ Scarebird) is currently working on a setup that uses Ford calipers for those "needing" all Ford parts. He is not a fan of the early calipers for fitment reasons (early steel 14" wheels), but he pretty much has the final design down now. A least that is what he said when he dropped my spare back off :D

John Z said:
Once you start with the mods, does it matter where the parts came from? Isn't the idea to make the car the way you want it to be?

I just do not understand why Scarebird elected to go with GM calipers as opposed to designing the brackets to hole ones from Ford. I do not do this kind of work so may be there is a technical reason.

It is amazing how much interest there is in the Scarebird bracket but so little feed back from users. I only know of one guy that admits to having the Scarebird units, and he was the gunnie pig for the first bracket. Wound up with GM rotors, so the design has changed since his install.

The S-10 caliper was much easier to fit within the original (read small) steel wheels, was cheaper, more available, more effective and they can loaded with a variety of pad compounds from mild to race. He didn't expect the "backlash" from the Ford folks demanding Ford parts on their Ford cars. So he is working on that to appease everyone.

I have the original setup as you noted and I love it. The bonus of it all was no junkyard scrambling or worring about tie rod ends and I saved money. I just made a trip to NAPA.

Funny side note, he mentioned that the Mopar guys are much "worse" than the Ford guys about having to use Mopar parts. :flag: Just makes it a bit more challenging for him.

If anyone has questions, just email him. He tries his best to do his best for the customer. He got into this so the average (read: light in the wallet) kinda of guy like me can step up to disk breaks in the classics.

I talked to the fella from scarebird today and he said they are in the process of a new design that allows the use of the original 14" style wheel. The new design uses a Buick Park Avenue caliper and ford rotors.

5.0ina66 said:

For the front disc kit:

HTH
--Kyle

Plus, you get to keep your original spindles so you don't get the bumpsteer that you'd get as a result of the changed geometry using granada spindles...

badazz68stang said:
I talked to the fella from scarebird today and he said they are in the process of a new design that allows the use of the original 14" style wheel. The new design uses a Buick Park Avenue caliper and ford rotors.

Yes, I checked and your right. The ford calipers didn't work out, either due to relibility and/or cost issues (depending on the caliper in question, ie early model, Cobra etc.)

John Z said:

Hi guys,

John hit it right on the head- the way the 68-93 calipers mount is not condusive in any way to a easy mount. The inner pad is held by a pair of ears on the mounting bracket- something that would be quite difficult to replicate with laser-cut steel. When we went to SEMA last year, Scott Drake was interested in our then current conversion (the one Stang67 has), but ANY machine work needed to be done by the customer is a no-no in their eyes. So we did some digging and found this out:

1965-73 rotors are pretty much the same. 65-67 are 0.810 thick with A2/A6 bearings, in 68-69 they thickened them up to 1.000", and in 70-73 the bearing got bigger. Hmm. Everybody likes to use the 65-67 rotor, but they run as much as 124 dollars, while the 68-69 are half that, and the last iteration half of that (using NAPA prices). Also, 1" thick rotors have a far better choice in calipers. Scott Drake uses the early rotor, but uses a 80-85 Citation caliper (a bad diameter mismatch! 11"+ rotor with 9-1/2" caliper). So we looked to use the 68-69 for 65-69 apps, and the later set for the same years. We used the S10 caliper, due to its excellent design, light weight, low cost and fantastic pad selection. But it does not clear the %$*& 64-67 steel rim!

So we looked some more and thought of using the 94-02 Cobra caliper, a very nice PBR setup that is quite spendy, especially when you get the cast brackets necessary to mount them (outside our budget business model). Hmm. We then cast our gaze at the "lowly" Park Ave caliper. These calipers are a 1/2 pound heavier than the S10 unit, but are designed to really hug the rotor. They DO clear the steel wheel- all we need to do is find if they hit the strut rod or not... since we cannot use them behind the axle they must go in front ala 65-67 stock. If this clears, it should be a real winner- budget price, excellent hydraulic match and biggest rotor to fit inside stock steel wheel. We wil have a set winging it's way to West Coast Classic Cougar for evaluation.

68keyblr said:
Plus, you get to keep your original spindles so you don't get the bumpsteer that you'd get as a result of the changed geometry using granada spindles...

that's only on the 65-66 cars. the 67-up use the same geomtry as the granada. degins is also working on a 65-66 specific spindle for use with his kit. not knocking the scarebird unit at all, just stating the facts.

Scarebird said:
We then cast our gaze at the "lowly" Park Ave caliper. These calipers are a 1/2 pound heavier than the S10 unit, but are designed to really hug the rotor. They DO clear the steel wheel- all we need to do is find if they hit the strut rod or not... since we cannot use them behind the axle they must go in front ala 65-67 stock. If this clears, it should be a real winner- budget price, excellent hydraulic match and biggest rotor to fit inside stock steel wheel. We wil have a set winging it's way to West Coast Classic Cougar for evaluation.

Cool! Is this going to be the standard kit from now on, or will you continue to sell the version with s10 calipers? When do you think you'll release the new kit? I'm looking at purchasing a kit from you here in the next few months.
Thanks
--Kyle