School me

• Sponsors (?)

geostang351 said:
Sorry dude. It just helps. There are two things I don't know: Tranny's and carbs, so this is a big time learning experience.

All I know is my Edelbrock carb sits under my airfilter and a small screw turned clockwise or counter clockwise effects my engines RPM's at idle

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I have to set up for some pics for an ignition article anyway, so I will set up a carb and take some shots. It works for Holleys, I have no clue about Edelbrocks.

I have to see if I have a paper clip around here...LOL!

OK, here is your garden variety Holley Model 1850, 600cfm carb:
View attachment 450642

Here is the rod that connects the vacuum secondary diaphragm to the secondary throttle plates. Install the paper clip at the top of the rod as shown here. This paper clip is a little to big, but you get the idea.

View attachment 450644

When the secondaries open, the diaphragm goes up into the diaphragm housing, up like I am pushing them here. The primaries need to be open for this to happen, so if you are trying it on a bench like I am here, crack the primaries before pushing the rod up,

View attachment 450646

The rod going up into the diaphragm forces the paper clip down the rod. When you close the throttle and the secondaries return to the closed position, the paper clip will stay where it slid to. If your secondaries are opening, your paper clip should be at the bottom of the rod, as shown here.

View attachment 450648