School Project Help

19stang66

Apr 16, 2003
hey, im doing a school project for history about cars from the 60's. i was wondering if any of you had any websites that i could go to to find information about any cars from the 60's. thanks much.

• Sponsors (?)

Narrow your topic

Hey 19stang66,

Glad to see your interest in 60's era cars. I think K:^P is right, but maybe I can help you a little bit more. You are definitely on the right track for good research. There is a wealth of knowledge within active forums from members who lived, rode, and raced in the 60's so you may find knowledge that is scarcely documented in books.

If you are in high school, your broad topic may be ok. But to make it easier on yourself, I would still pick some kind of angle to focus on or your paper will be all over the place (remember to think about how you will transition each paragraph to the next). How about:
1.) Body styling through the 60's. You could show how aerodynamics became more important and the influence of racing production cars.
2.) Major technological developments of the 60's. This topic, like the one above, would allow you to pick the best features from each manufacturer. Articles about "the best X" or "the best Y" are fairly common, so finding information should not be a problem.

If you are in college and this is some form of expository writing class or a research project, you will likely need to make your topic more specific. Most people who must write or speak on a topic select a topic that is broad. They do so to ensure they will have enough information to fill the required paper length or speaking duration. However, most people also find that to adequately develop a broad topic, they need more space (paper or time) than is allowed by their assignment. They actually have trouble cramming all the pertinent information into the assignment.

Again, if this is a college level assignment (especially if upper division) I would suggest narrowing your topic to either of the ones above, or:
3.) Chevy (or Ford or Dodge) engine enhancements during the 60's.
4.) The evolution of fuel injection and a comparison to carburetion
5.) People who were monumental in the development of new technology e.g. Carol Shelby and Zora Arkus-Duntov

As for where to find information . . . Start with a google search with some broad terms from your topic (here is where having a narrow focus will also help you weed out unrelated information). Once you have read some background knowledge, write down a brief outline of your paper's main topics. From there you can highlight the areas where you need more information. Perform very specific searches for these topics. I think google.com is a great resource, but also use the search feature on the various forums to locate additional information.

One note of caution when using a forum for information. Forums are comprised of 99% opinion and those should not be confused with facts. But use forums to find terms and concepts that will guide your research for facts.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Bob

im in high school, 10th grade. we were assigned to do a presentation on a topic. and i picked the topic of "Cars of the 1960's" heres the layout:
1.must have 3 visual things, ex. poster, movie, songs, pictures,powerpoint
2.5-8 minutes long
i think there is one more thing but i cant remember it. the teacher did give us specific things to look up. so i think i will go with what bobolevson said and just find things that were trends and new technology, etc... oh, and it's not a paper. its a presentation and i have to put everything on notecards.
thanks for your guys help