Seat belt retractor issues

I've been reading up on previous posts on the 3-point seat belt topics, but have a new can of worms to open.

Currently installed in my fastback, I have seats out of a BMW 330i Convertible. These feature a built-in 3-point shoulder harness, with the retractor mounted inside the seat. I replaced the seatbelt, but am able to reconnect part of the inertia locking mechanism. This is mainly because the BMW parts are hard to work on, theyre complicated, and its hard to get internal documentation.

In other words, the belt will lock when you pull it out too fast, but if i slam on the brakes it no longer locks up. There was a ball-bearing device that sensed sudden movement and would promptly lock the belt, but it is no longer connected.

I'm not sure of the importance of having the belt tighten a split-second before my head and shoulders react forward. Also, the buckle is such that when the shoulder has slack, the lap also has slack.

Does anyone have experience with knowing how far forward my body may move in an accident before a belt will sense the sudden movement and tighten? Its hard to test this driving around since i dont know how to simulate the exteme sudden pulling on the belt.

I hope this made sense to at least one of you. I may have to re-explain.

Attachments

• DSCN0201 copy.JPG
    DSCN0201 copy.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Sponsors (?)