Senior Engineering Project

squeak_cg

Founding Member
Mar 13, 2002
Lima, OH
hey guys,

I will be a senior mechanical engineering student and its come time to pick 'capstone' projects for next year. This is basically a year long project that a group of 3 students works on. I'm looking for ideas for something that I could do that is mustang related or just automotive related. Typically were given $500 toward the project and we have to supply any extra money neccessary via sponsors our own pocket.

An idea of what some of the seniors are doing this year
-human powered water purifier
-human powered vehicle capable of traveling on water and on land
-a device which measures forces and moments being transmitted by tires
-work on modernizing an engine dynamometer (cooling system, controls, etc.)

I'm open to any ideas you guys might have, I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something creative. Some ideas I might like to run with: converting a normal vehicle to a tracked vehicle (has anyone seen the monster garage with the mini cooper?) or some project on a hybrid vehicle or alternate fueled vehicle like biodiesel. But I'd love to hear some ideas. Let's see what you've got.

• Sponsors (?)

My Senior Engineering project was a folding ramp that would tuck into the tailgate of a truck. You'd put the tailgate down, unfold the ramp and drive your 4-wheeler up into the bed of the truck. We designed it in CAD and then built the thing.

It was made of aluminum, weighed 50 pounds (not including the tailgate or related mechanism) and it held 1250 pounds before it started to give :)