Serious suspension help!!

KamiKaziDK

May 16, 2005
Mesa, Az
Ok....so I bought an 87 Mustang GT that took me like an hour to dig out of this guys back yard, half in a ditch and stuff...but started up and runs like a champ....even has MAF and 140mph speedo. Here's the deal, I road my motorcycle down with my g/f to pick the car up and she drove the car back, when you accelerate you can actually see the body of the car moving back and forth over the axle (ie...the tires move out 2" to the right or left") Is it doing this because the suspension is just totally completely shot or what? I'm a total suspension virgin other than putting springs and shocks on, never let a car get to this point. HELP HELP HELP please!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Axles aren't moving in and out, I could see that riding behind the car. Blown out control arm bushings would cause that? I'm just looking for things to check for at this point, I just got the car back and haven't had time to jack it up yet.

i would checked the bushings

i would checked the bushings and the boxs. i had a car with bad boxs. i could not drive it they was so bad. check the upper and lower where the rear end bolts to the car. my friends car broke the uppers but it runs 8.20 in the 1/4

Thanks for the advice so far. I'll jack it up tomorrow when I get a chance and check all the bushings and torque boxes. If the torque boxes are busted I have to order new ones and have them welded in, huh? I'm finding out a lot more about this car too. It used to be an 2.3 LX. So I hope whoever did the engine/tranny/speedo swap put the 8.8 back there too!

That's the thing with 5.0 swap....you never know what you are gonna get.

Look for torn torque boxes where the arms bolt to the chassis in all 4 locations and also check to see if the bushings are all torn up.

ok........My right upper torque box has been completely torn out of place, how bad is this going to be to fix? I was thinking of dropping the rear end out so I could replace the shocks and control arm bushings then do I just mock it up and get it welded back into place? I should probably buy some battle boxes to add to it too, huh?

Attachments

• torquebox.jpg
    torquebox.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 246
Yep, decoded the vin last night. Someone put some serious time into swapping everything over. Cause as you can see it's got the 8.8 in it too. How dangerous is it to be driving with that thing like it is? I need to get it to my g/fs dads house so I can put it up on stands and drop the rear end out of her

Jacked up the car today, dropped the gas tank, pulled off the right side exhaust and unbolted the UCA out of the broken off box. Got most of it hammered into place, tomorrow the welding begins

Attachments

• 0315091835.jpg
    0315091835.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 189