Serpentine belt shredded. Can I get it to the shop?

Whenever I havethe oil changed I have that looked at. Last time all was well but I suspect it was probably the original belt. The car has about 70k miles on it so it was just time for it to go. I notice that my voltage guage is hovering at less than the half way mark. The belt seems to be snug and fitting in the grooves as it should though.

I'll dig in to that soon as I've got to do new plugs and wires soon. I'm still very pleased with the car. I don't want to talk it up but she has never left me stranded (I don't consider a car breaking down as I pull in to work, or home as being stranded). Even with that belt situation she still got me to work. She hasn't asked for much and she deserves to be treated better than I sometimes do.

• Sponsors (?)

SilverHorse said:
Whenever I havethe oil changed I have that looked at. Last time all was well but I suspect it was probably the original belt. The car has about 70k miles on it so it was just time for it to go. I notice that my voltage guage is hovering at less than the half way mark. The belt seems to be snug and fitting in the grooves as it should though.

I'll dig in to that soon as I've got to do new plugs and wires soon. I'm still very pleased with the car. I don't want to talk it up but she has never left me stranded (I don't consider a car breaking down as I pull in to work, or home as being stranded). Even with that belt situation she still got me to work. She hasn't asked for much and she deserves to be treated better than I sometimes do.

Belt shredded. Voltage not showing the normal for ya.
You might seriously see if the alternator pulley/drive/bearing isn't out of whack. You can take off the belt again (when you have time and tools) and spin it, try to shift the shaft around, to see if it's on its way out, too.

It would suck to find yourself shredding another belt after just replacing this one, or finding out your alternator poos on you further down the road.

Just a thought. :D

I considered that. The "SilverHorse", and I will be spending some bonding time this weekend for the plugs and wires. During that time I'll do what you suggested. If the alternator is bad I'll replace it myself. Now that I now how to deal with that belt I have no fear!

SilverHorse said:
I considered that. The "SilverHorse", and I will be spending some bonding time this weekend for the plugs and wires. During that time I'll do what you suggested. If the alternator is bad I'll replace it myself. Now that I now how to deal with that belt I have no fear!

Forgot to mention to check your other belt driveline accessories also, just to make sure the pullies don't have any burs on them or play that makes the belt run un-evenly (if that is a word).
:)

SilverHorse said:
.... Now that I now how to deal with that belt I have no fear!

Next thing you know he'll be adding a blower and new internals, geesh :rolleyes:
we've helped create a new modster. :eek:

j/k :jester:

Now get to work (on the Stang) and have fun with it. :nice: