Shifter Comparison

Cacaman

Jul 28, 2008
Laredo TX
Ok, i've been doing alot of research lately and i cant decide what shifter to buy :shrug:. I know there have been threads about this but i wanted something a bit more specific. So far, 3 shifters have caught my eye.

1. hurst comp/plus 5 Reasons: Price, looks, good reviews.
2. steeda tri ax Reasons: good reviews
3. MGW Reasons: Outstanding reviews.

Now, i need some help picking from these 3 shifters based on 3 things: price, looks, and performance.
Thanks !

• Sponsors (?)

i've heard mostly good about the MGW. i'm going to personally put one of them on whatever car i end up with.

i think the MGWs look sweet, are ULTRA adjustable, and for the price, its cheaper to buy a shifter once then buy something a little bit cheaper then go for the MGW later.

the only bad things i've heard about the MGW is price compared to other shifters, but usually people end up going to a MGW anyway so it cost them more money to go cheaper the first time and buy a shifter they thought would be fine. and there was a thread on svtperformance about a guy who kept missing third with his. but he adjusted it a little bit, and he slams the gears more. so really the only bad thing i know of, is that its too adjustable, theres too many options and so little time to try out them all. haha.

man, i sound like i work for them or something. i wonder if they are hiring.

While I have no experience with the pro 5.0, I have used the Steeda triax. Compared to my MGW the triax shifter feels like its 50 feet long. The MGW is as solid as an anvil, the throws are short and precise, and Iwouldn't consider any other shifter.

Most people on this board are going to recommend the MGW--it's nice, no doubt...but I LOVE my Pro 5.0. If you can, try them to see what your personal pref is...the diff in $$$ will be outweighed by how you feel living with it every time you drive.

i bought the mgw the weekend i bought my car. it's nice but i'm thinking about selling it and getting a tri ax. mgw has a very short throw and the shifts are firm and i love it but there is a "stop" in between gears, it's always bugged me. idk. i'm gonna buy a tri ax and try it out for a while:nice:

mgw here, no problems whatsoever after 20k miles on it stills feels like the day i bought it. actually just had the blockers and synchonizers in transmission replaced because of a power shift that i did, however shifter saved my forks so a least the shifter saved something, and on the t45 model there is stoppers on the shifter to adjust