Shifter observations

katshot

Dec 29, 2006
Dover, DE.
I installed my B&M short-throw shifter a month or so ago and today I installed the factory one back on it.
I can honestly say that I think I prefer the factory shifter to the B&M shifter. Yeah, I know the factory one is much taller and therefore a slower shifter because of the longer throws but it sure is way smoother and to be honest, the trans seems to go into gear easier with the factory shifter too. Now I'm perplexed, and not sure what to do.

• Sponsors (?)

I will admit that I have mixed opinions about my Steeda tri ax also. I dig the shorter throw, but its kinda notchy. How does that MGW shifter feel?

I love my tri-ax. It was real notchy it first, but its really loosened up since I put it in. Feels great now. After driving with my tri-ax and then feeling a stocker I couldnt believe how long I went without getting a shifter.

I love my tri-ax. It was real notchy it first, but its really loosened up since I put it in. Feels great now. After driving with my tri-ax and then feeling a stocker I couldnt believe how long I went without getting a shifter.

I have probably only had mine in for about 800 miles now. I dont daily drive my car so the miles stack up kinda slow. So you said yours got better after a little while?

I love my MGW....It is not nearly as notchy as the Tri-Ax. The MGW is smoother, quieter, and the reach is perfect. Get the MGW, I guarantee that you will love it. I don't think I have heard one person that didn't like it.

MGW FTW!!!

I just put my stocker back on to take it to ford to get the tranny fixed and I like the stocker a little bit because of it's "squishy" feel but I still prefer my tri-ax for it's positive shifts.

MGW all the way, first mod i did for my car i haven't regreted it since, I actually forget that i have a short throw much of the time cause its natural feeling, i get into another GT with a stocker and i look at it like wtf is wrong?

While I agree the aftermarket shifter is much more "crisp" shall we say, it's also so much so that it's hard to shift into gear at times. There's actually even times where it simply won't go into first gear and I have to jiggle it around to get it to go into gear. Between that and the increased noise level, I'm not sure I'm liking the aftermarket one. My whole reason for getting the shifter was because I hated the way 3rd gear is so ellusive under power. Everybody said get the aftermarket shifter and you'll never miss 3rd again. I can say that is BS! The shifter made very little (if any) difference in the hard to find 3rd gear issue. I liked the short throws and more positive feel but the negatives are also plentiful. It wasn't until I re-installed the original shifter that I actually found that I think I like it better.

Ok for those of you that have owned both the MGW and Triax ... ( I have the triax ) what are the major differences. I don't know if its a bad syncro or if the shifter is off or what, but I have to shift 1st-4th to get it into reverse, and alot of times it doesn't even want to engage 3rd. Many of you know from experience what its like to hit the fork going into 3rd ... but this is like it starts to go in, but softly bounces out w/o catching, its odd...

Anyway, I'm thinking about trying out the MGW for *****s and giggles just to see, but I'd like to know from people who've actually had both if its really worth it... Also, has anyone had problems like those above ? And does it sound shifter or tranny related ..