Shop Rate For 1/4 Panel Replacement?

Horrortaxi

Founding Member
Aug 28, 2002
Los Angeles
Thanks to a woman who wasn't paying attention to her red light the future of my Mustang is in serious doubt. The entire driver's side (bumper to bumper) is pushed in a couple inches. Pictures are on my moblog if anybody want to see them and has the stomach. Assuming there's no structural damage (there doesn't appear to be) it's all bolt-on parts that are readily available. The quarter panel, while available in repro, is the biggest problem. I can't do that one myself. Does anybody have an idea what the going rate is to replace it? Or how many hours of labor it takes?

I'm sure the insurance company is going to want to total it and I'm just trying to see if I can buy it back and fix it for whatever my settlement will be. If quarter panel replacement is under a grand I don't see a problem...apart from having a salvage title...

• Sponsors (?)

It really won't be any cheaper if you supply the panel in most cases. You should find a shop that is familiar with and does sheetmetal work on the older cars and preferably Mustangs and let them get the sheetmetal THEY like to work with as you will get better results. Taking parts to any type of shop always gives them the opportunity to blame bad quality on you. "That is the panel you insisted on and that is the best we can make it fit for the estimate of labor we quoted you!"

Wow, that looks like some serious damage there. I've replaced both Q-panels on my 68 fastback. The good news is from the photos it looks like your outer wheelwell is ok. The bad news is it crushed into the area where the Q-panel folds over the top and where the end caps next to the trunk are bolted. The full repo panels I've seen don't come with those portions of the car. If you're bound and determined to fix it, I'd recommend ripping the Q-panel off another coupe. Given the condition of your car before the accident, I feel compelled to say that you might be better off looking for another car to restore and using your old one for parts. I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune.

d

>What are you seeing that I missed?

Mostly just the amount of work/money that would have to be put into it. But don't take my opinion for it... ask around, see what other people say. Just from the photos I'm imagining that the inner fender panels around the engine would have to be replaced as well. Get some prices on the amount of work it would take to get the car back like it was... then see what you could get another coupe of similar condition (before the wreck). Do your research and you'll be sure to make a sound decision.

d

Inner fenders are good as near as I can tell. Assuming there's no serious damage underneath the sheet metal I'm seeing $600-$700 in parts and then a whatever it'll cost to replace that quarter panel. I don't think I could buy that car (pre accident) for $2500, but I ought to be able to fix it for much less than that.

If I'd learned to weld like a good boy this wouldn't even be an issue.

Anybody ever seen the repro quarter panels from NPD? The picture in the catalog shows them going all the way to the trunk and all the way back. I'm just wondering if that's accurate.