shortened my throw

I bought a new shift knob to day in hopes of shortening my throw. I got a nice leather wrapped one. It fits in far better than the CF monster that came with the t-5 when I bought it. It also reduced the lenght of my shifter by about 3 inches. Feels much better. Am wondering If anyone has any suggestions for a swap in stick with shorted throw that I might JY on my next trip.

• Sponsors (?)

Hmm. Those look really nice, but, while driving it today I noticed that the angle of the shifter made it hard for me to hold the knob as designed when in 2nd and 4th. Looks like that tri-ax will do the same thing. Is there not a straight stick that will bolt to the t-5? Or is the crook for some mechanical advantage?

I actually created my own short throw shifter. and after getting the spacing correct it works awesome. I want to build another though with an even shorter throw but a slightly taller handle. But I save that for another day.
After doing this, I understand a little more as to why the ti-axe and such look the way they do and feel the way they do.

choping the top off of one is just one good fix. I have done this to most of my shifters.

I dont have a write up on it yet, but eventually I will do one.

The Tri-Axe is my number one choice for a 5-speed shifter.

TF

Hmm. I thought about taking the stick off and putting the knob directly on the linkage, but, that'd just be too damn short. I'd like to get into some metal working and milling, just need to find the time. If I get a job at this tire place I applied for yesterday, that'll help alot.

2.3Lxhatch311 said:
Hmm. I thought about taking the stick off and putting the knob directly on the linkage, but, that'd just be too damn short. I'd like to get into some metal working and milling, just need to find the time. If I get a job at this tire place I applied for yesterday, that'll help alot.

It will also make it harder to shift due to the lack of leverage! this is one problem I ran into with mine. I have learned to deal with it, but others driving it may have problems. then again that mostly never happens. ;-)

i will see if I cant motivate myself to write up something soon.. LOL

TF

yeah, I noticed mine is a little harder to shift also. It's strange that harder can also be faster. I like mine the way it is right now, with a Bronco II being my last manual, the throw is now like 10X shorter than what I was already used to. That's an 89, not a pre. the earlier ones had a funny shifter that was really crooked, but the throw was shorter. They were also 5x less luxurious than the 89's. I wonder if there is a Bronconet out there somewhere...