should i be concerned with my alternator

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
i noticed it when the interior was out, i could hear the fuel pump slow down...

when i sit at a light with no lights no brake pedal no heater, ect. voltmeter shows about 3/4 up the gauge. when i sit at a light with low beams, fogs, heater, radio and brakes on it drops to about 1/4, i can relaly bog it down by pressing up on my window switches when the windows are up. is the voltmeter supposed to chill in one place, or change?

if i need a new alternator don't tell me unless i really really need to, (see other threads about things continuing to break)....

• Sponsors (?)

well mine does exactly that, and i'm looking for a 3g upgrade now. the stock alt. is garbage to start with, and i think mines on its last legs. if i drive at night with the lights on for any length of time, it's 50/50 if it will even start the next day. couldn't even run the heater in the winter! i just had to get pushed out of the car wash 2 days ago because of this!!! not cool....:nono: .
- it will drop at idle for sure when you put strain on the battery, but mine just got progressively worse (quite quickly) until it is now unreliable....