Should I buy this car?

efish

Nov 3, 2008
Once again I turn to you for help.
I went to this car show yesterday and found a 1967 cab for sale for 13700.
The car had no rust. New paint in july. It was original a 6 cyl, but he had put in a 1968 289 V8 4 barrel.
A few things needed to be fixed. The tach did not work. The turn signals did not work. A minor tear in the roofcovering.
Is this something I should go for?
Thanks!

Erik

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on your location, and the overall condition of the car.

$13,700 is on the high side for a plain Jane restored coupe. Especially an original 6 cylinder.

I agree that is a lot of money for even a 289 coupe that is if it is bone stock. It also depends on whether the owner also went about setting up the car properly for a V8 since it was an original 6, a lot of things would need to be checked. I would wait you can fetch a decent stang for that price that would be more fun, I got my Mach 1 for that price 5 years ago and it was in decent condition.

Allright, thanks a lot for the input guys!
Both the exterior and the interior looked to be in mint condition, but as you said I have no idea if the new 289 engine was installed correctly. As the tachometer does not work, I can imagine as it has something to do with that.
@STSFCTN67: cab=cabriolet. (or convertible as you might say..:)
I'll keep you updated. I have found a lot of interesting mustangs in my area for sale lately. Hopefully I'll find the right one sometime soon.

I'm originally from Norway, but currently living in Florida. Planning to stay here for another year, then bring the car back to Norway. So I've still got about a year to find the perfect car.

Offer him 8K and see what he says. Unless the car is turn-key and in real good unrestored condition, I'd say his number is high for an inliner 'vert, even with the conversion. An inoperative 'tach' (speedometer, I'm assuming) and a damaged convertible top can just be the tip of the iceberg of little and not-so-little things to do.

Thanks alot for all your replies. I'm learning alot.
What is the best way to find out if the engine is 'installed' properly. Are there any things in specific I can look for?
When I said inop tach I ment the milage-'indicator'. The airspeed works fine.

I've only got one picture which I took on the carshow. I think it looks pretty decent.

77233096345653456044553.jpg

Thanks again guys!

That looks like a nice one. I bet the engine is installed right. What I would also check is to see if it is still 4 lug wheels or if it has been upgraded to 5 lug like the V8 cars had.

being a vert makes a huge difference in the value. I am a bit rusty on the current values of convertibles. But they were going for Mid to low 20k range. In fully restored condition. (and original V8)