Should there be this slop at the front wheels? -NOT a steering slop question...

Davin

Founding Member
Mar 9, 2000
Jacksonville, FL
When I jack up the front of my car, with one side wheel on a ramp and the other free (jackstand on the other chasis side) I can physically hold the wheel and rock it back and forth (sma plane it steer through) and it will rock about 1/8th". The wheel is tight on the spindle and I can see the movement through the inner and outer steering rods too. Is this normal slop or is something wearing out? I've been trying to track down a knock that occurs sometimes and was wondering it the movement was normal. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

If you're holding the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock, and you see the steering linkage move too, it's probably a bad inner tie rod or worn rack itself.

Depends on where your play is. Best way to do it is too get underneath there with a flashlight and have somebody else wiggle the wheel from side to side. If it is side to side (3 & 9 o'clock) then it may likely be a worn tie rod end or maybe a tie rod itself. Up and down play (12 & 6 o'clock) then could likely be a worn out ball joint. Again, best way is to get under there and look and feel while somebody else wiggles.

I agree with the tie rod possibility. Have someone else wiggle the wheel , have lots of light, and really check the inner and outer tierods and rod ends. If your sure theres no play there it could very well be the rack itself. How many miles are on the car? Oh, check the steering rack bushings for signs of cracking, rotting etc. although if you did this with only one wheel in the air (the other wheel still supporting its share of the vehicle) then its prolly not the rack bushings but still check, you never know.... Good luck and post up when you figure it out.:nice:

Opps, I should be clear..when I said wheel, in the initial post, I meant the actual driver's side wheel that the tire was mounted on..

Also, the car has 140K on the rack..FCA's are 03 Cobras (including ball joint) with about 5K miles on them. Tie rods are Baer bump steer..rack bushings are MM center drilled aluminum...

Id say more likely to be tie rods or a loose bolt on the control arm (seen that before). Ball joints will usually only show up with a jack under the control arm to take the tension off unless theyre really bad. Ive seen it all, trust me.

Wear in the rack itself is really what is left it seems. As I recall you can strip bellows off and do some lateral pulling on the inner tie rod, watching for movement. It seems like checking in this area is the next step.