smoked battery??

mustangsquared

Founding Member
Jun 8, 2002
new bern nc
Ok, the LX listed below is the topic...

A year ago I was chasing the surge demon, thought I had it fixed so I took her out and ran her hard...hit a stop sign stopped and then noticed a bunch of smoke coming from the hood up near the battery area... temp gauge started to climb fast (electric fan)... so I turned around and headed home... now stupid me figured I fried the wires to the fan so I parked it without popping the hood to check where the smoke was actually coming from and got busy and never got around to fixing it... :nonono:

So I take a look under the hood tonight and cant figure it out... battery is totally dead (but she sat for a year) popped the caps and the water is low... add a little distilled water and throw her on the charger... nope wont even try to charge her. I cant find any wires that are burned are any sign of fire under the hood (man do I have a lot of rust to clean up under the hood).

So can a 135 amp alt smoke the battery? Even with the battery dead the fan should have worked...though it is wired to the battery cables....

I am confused on this one..... and yes, flame away for letting her sit for a year... I deserve it... I am a crappy Stang owner....my UDP's for the 06 are still sitting in the box.... been real busy... :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I would go back and check all the wires that run from the battery, the alt and the electric fan. Sounds like there could of been a wire that got crossed thats connected with the fan that went back and fryed the battery. That happened to me when I put in fog lights, I didnt wrap or protect the wire and it rubbed through and burned up due to a short.

When you drove home, was the fan running? You mentioned that the temp was rising after you saw smoke.

Good luck

I dont remember if the fan was running or not now... I am going to redo the fan wiring (I had them inside the black plastic protective wire covering and I didnt mess with them but who knows)....an then replace the battery and give her a good look over.