So you want to get a Terminator?

• Sponsors (?)

i had a problem with my terminator, NOBODY could diagnose or give me another suggestion for. since ive gotten rid of it, ive had over 10 people with the same problem contact me. never heard of a solution.

i changed a fuel filter and the oil. nothing else. went out for a ride, and i would get horrible cutouts when it went into boost.

went over all the obvious things, then into tuning, datalogging, calling tuners, having people give suggestions, ect. everything made sense on the logs/mechanically. then it started running lean under normal driving..

after 40 miles on brand new plugs, they were WHITE as snow. then i went through hell and back after dropping my tank to check the pumps. finally got it going again and said **** this thing and sold it.

i also had that worry in the back of my mind of what if this blows, when i got on it. i definately agree with tyler, dont own one if you cant support it. i am/was 18/19 years old when i owned mine. i was making good money to support it, but not comfortable enough to keep it sitting in the garage 99% of the time. not worth the payment every month.

i think those cars take the right kind of owner to keep them any duration of time. i thought i'd be one, but obviously things went down another path. i hope your car is one of the better ones, they seem to be hit or miss.

they are really fun cars, i miss mine alot watching my vids. at the same time, i dont think i could pay for one monthly again :shrug:

Kilgore Trout said:

Nope....guy just posted and it had something to do with the fuel rail sensor/pressure. :shrug:

If you guys want something fast, I just reciently realized that bikes are where its at.

My bike for example....will last along the lines of 150+K, gets over 50MPG highway, runs on 87 octain, tops @ the governed 186MPH, runs 9s in the 1/4 @ 140+, bike will run with most 800RWHP cars and only costed me 10,500.

I really am not misssing my car that much...only part I really am longing for is the sound of my V8 :hail2: . The speed part has been easily quinched by the bikes EXCESS of power :)

I refuse to drive a bike because I know if I ever to I'll be hooked and never look back. I also know that they will be the death of me, I just wouldn't be able to resist the urge to drive crazy fast and do something stupid.

Something about having the frame of a car surrounding me is reassuring when going fast. I don't think I've come across anybody with a bike who doesn't have a story of somebody they know who's been killed or seriously injured on one.

Mustang5L5 said:
I've never done a burnout in my GT ever, and i've only been over 130MPH once and that was for a few seconds in 4th gear.

Other than a few 2nd and 3rd gear WOT runs, i don't drive my car too hard...and if I had a cobra i'd prob just do the same.

Never done a burnout ever...thats amazing! :eek:

Mike (Mustang5L5) is the man, he treats his cars with respect at all times AND is a highly skilled Mustang mechanic AND knows more about Mustang trivia and the various trim lines and options over the years than almost everyone else out there :flag:

I believe him when he says he does not do burnouts...

Also, hotmustang331, there are not many 40 year old guys like me riding around on crotch rockets :shrug: We are old enough to realize that cold death always rides shotgun with you on those things...

Well the Cobra experts on SVT Performance have diagnosed it as the common FRPS failure and not catastrophic engine damage. I believe they are correct in this diagnosis.

Kilgore Trout said:
Well the Cobra experts on SVT Performance have diagnosed it as the common FRPS failure and not catastrophic engine damage. I believe they are correct in this diagnosis.

Are you talking about this thread that you posted earlier?
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339684

If so a frps failure is not going to cause it to smoke, or even make noise. It can however cause it to run lean which will break other parts. Unless I am misreading his description of the smoke and candy smell, I doubt he is going to get off that easy.

jstreet0204 said:
Are you talking about this thread that you posted earlier?
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339684

If so a frps failure is not going to cause it to smoke, or even make noise. It can however cause it to run lean which will break other parts. Unless I am misreading his description of the smoke and candy smell, I doubt he is going to get off that easy.

No this thread is the one:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=325968

As far as these engines letting go under high speed runs, all of them I've seen so far were running smaller pullies. Those eaton blowers are pretty effecient 9lbs and under. Once they start making more boost the heat goes up exponentially. The heat combined with LONG period of time it remains under boost to attain those speeds puts much more strain on the engine than it was ever designed to hold. While the PTW clearance may be a little on the tight side, if it weren't they'd have too many complaints about noisey cold startups.

Moral of the story, is if you are going to run a smaller pulley and do high speed runs, you need to upgrade to cooling sytems a well.

Its not SOO much the PTW clearance thats the problem...its the crappy pistons (aluminum I believe) that when the cylinder is subject to intense and long lasting heat (high speed run an a pullied cobra) the pistons expansion rate is faster than the cylinder walls and it closes that tight gap QUICKLY.
I have watched a vid of a pullied eaton on the dyno...got to the top of the run and the engine just LOCKED up. Amazingly it fired back up..

So basically if Ford would have used better pistons, you guys wouldnt have these problems.

jstreet0204 said:
That doesn't explain his noises, white smoke, and candy smell. I'm guessing that he lost fuel pressure, went lean, and popped the head gasket or worse.

True, I forgot about that....I think your right, the candy smell is definatly coolant, unless the guy forgot that he put race gas in it the day before :lol: .

Kilgore Trout said:
Mike (Mustang5L5) is the man, he treats his cars with respect at all times AND is a highly skilled Mustang mechanic AND knows more about Mustang trivia and the various trim lines and options over the years than almost everyone else out there :flag:

I believe him when he says he does not do burnouts...

Thank you :nice:

You are right. I respect my car too much to abuse it. Once in a while i'm guilty of chirping the tires in 2nd gear, but i've never done a burnout or clutch-drop in it. I have taken it down the track once just to see what it could do stock but i have no desire to race it anymore.

If i owned a Terminator, it would be the same way.

My 5.0 is a different story, but i'm modding that specifically for autoXing/road racing, so it's gonna be pushed HARD.