Some Life Advice about career paths (Longish)

I've reached a point in my education where I am no longer intrested in the subject matter in which I'm studying. I'm currently a student at Virgnia Tech and I am a double-major in International Relations and Sociology, and my plan was orignally to do some kind of terrorism or military analysis, but I've come to realize my true happiness lies in cars, motorcycles, boats, etc. I'm not the engineering type, and I dont really want to just work on an assembly line, but I'm extremely attracted to designing cars and other forms of transportation, sketches and such, and I'm pretty good, at least i think personally at doing orignal style hot rods (like ford coupes, model a's and such) and am really intrested in designing new car interiors. My school offers a pretty good Industrial Design program, and I am intrested in it, and was wondering if anyone of you are in the industrial design field or something like it? and more specifically working with cars? I know everyone wants to work with cars and such, so this is more of a dream than a realistic bread-winning job, but what do you think my chances are getting into the transportation design industry if I take this path? I'm just lost right now, and could really use some advice from those of you who have more wisdom and experience than I do, thanks for reading, and thanks for any advice in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Go with what you love, Other jobs may pay better but you will never be happy doing something you hate. I would try designing something for a classic mustang that everyone just couldnt live without. The Interior would be a great place to start. I wish you the best of luck!

I always wanted to be an architect. I wanted to build Grand buildings on the scale of ancient Rome, or something like the Pyramids or even cool buildings like you see in the movies (Batman for example). But then I realized that unless I was independently wealthy I'd always be designing and building someone elses dream. I'd be like every other troll cooped up in his little cubicle designing projects for "The Man".

If you really want to make things and get your hands dirty you have to be a Craftsman. Become a welder, mechanic or sheetmetal fabricator. But remember dreams cost money, you'll always need a "real" job. I LOVE being a Paramedic, but it doesn't pay for everything I want to do.

5.0StangRacer said:
I've reached a point in my education where I am no longer intrested in the subject matter in which I'm studying. I'm currently a student at Virgnia Tech and I am a double-major in International Relations and Sociology, and my plan was orignally to do some kind of terrorism or military analysis, but I've come to realize my true happiness lies in cars, motorcycles, boats, etc. I'm not the engineering type, and I dont really want to just work on an assembly line, but I'm extremely attracted to designing cars and other forms of transportation, sketches and such, and I'm pretty good, at least i think personally at doing orignal style hot rods (like ford coupes, model a's and such) and am really intrested in designing new car interiors. My school offers a pretty good Industrial Design program, and I am intrested in it, and was wondering if anyone of you are in the industrial design field or something like it? and more specifically working with cars? I know everyone wants to work with cars and such, so this is more of a dream than a realistic bread-winning job, but what do you think my chances are getting into the transportation design industry if I take this path? I'm just lost right now, and could really use some advice from those of you who have more wisdom and experience than I do, thanks for reading, and thanks for any advice in advance

Your asking questions no-one can answer. Everyone wants their dream job, but there are more of us than there are Dream Jobs. Persueing a dream is OK as long as you don't ignore reality. Your probably to young to know what you really want yet, but that is normal. We get our ideas from our experiences and our abilities. If your lucky your abilities match your needs and wants. But that isn't always the case.

Go for what you think you want, just don't make it an obsession. And don't be afraid to do what pays until you can work at what you want.

And Good Luck.

Okay, I'll take a crack at this.

I too wanted to have a career in automotive something or another, but then Uncle Sam said "I want you", so became an aircraft mechanic. It's sort of related, but then decided I didn't want to do this for a living. Good pay, no job security, etc. Important things like, food, rent, utilities, etc. became really important. I fell into a job that paid well and have been there for 34 years now. I still had time to play with cars and now boats, nothing fancy, just enough to keep me happy.

I don't know how old you are, but when my son was about your age I'm guessing, I had to say the responsible parent thing and stay in school, which he did and graduated with a chemistry degree. He's a very talented lead guitar player in a heavy metal band, but he now realizes that it won't pay the bills, maybe someday, but not right now.

It's a tough call that only you can answer. Good luck.

On a personal note, I'll be 53 as of April 5, I have had a few jobs in my life, but I have spent most of my adult life as a mechanic. I owned myown shop for the last 20 years and Retired from it last March.

I have loved cars, trucks and boats for as long as I can remember but working in the real world as an auto mechanic was eating away at that love. Because of LIFE, and the need to take care of and raise my family I stuck with what payed the bills, I also got away from classics for a bunch of years. Now that the kids are grown and the bills are paid I can resume my rejuvinated love for cars and trucks and boats.

Unless you get hit by a bus your gonna have a pretty long life, there is time to do what you want, it just doesn't have a scedual, you have to go with what life throws at you.

I pretty much took this year off to regroup and relax, it's been great with the exception that I don't have enough cash to build my toys so I shopped around for an easy job with good pay and not much work. The next 10-20 years should prove to be much more fun than the last 10-20.

How close are you to a degree in your originally chosen field? The red flag comes up quickly when I read these two statements together: “I’m not the engineering type” and “what do you think my chances are of getting into the transportation design industry”.

First, you need to realistically define your preferred work environment. Which, if any, of these appeal to you?
1. Creating conceptual CAD drawings to engineering and sales specifications.
2. Creating computer graphics literature for product sales and marketing.
3. Hands-on fabrication and testing for research and development of models and prototypes to engineering specifications.
4. Market analysis, estimating supply, demand and feasibility, of new and existing products.
5. Direct customer contact involving regular travel to generate interest for new and existing products.

For myself, a young artist who didn’t want to starve, thus ending up as a product design engineer (now 43), I’ve found it fairly easy and enjoyable to direct my design passions and creativity towards whatever project I’m working on.

The best way to determine the requirements for any field is to directly contact the major players in the business and ask them. Often, simply reviewing their employment opportunities will tell you all you need to know (educational requirements, location, pay scale). Take note how many employment listings you are able to find, since this is an excellent indicator of demand for a specific field.

I have a lot to say on this topic since my son is an Industrial Design student at Syracuse University, but I’ll wait for your response.

thanks everyone for all your help
Platonic, I'm a freshmen and therefore no where near my degree. I say I'm not an engineering type because I hate the science, though I can do it, I wouldnt be happy doing it. In terms of my desired work environment, to be honest, I'd just love working with cars, but I think drawing up concepts and working with the engineers to build them would be what I would love, though later in life I think if I made some money I'd love to either work for a custom rod shop, or start my own, and thats why I'm taking alot of automotive/fabrication etc. classes at community college during the summer. I've done some research in the big American auto industries as well alot of boating companies. If I decide to go into Industrial Design, my plan would be to get my BS in ID from here at VaTech and during the summers take as many automotive classes on the communinty college level or internships as they become available, and then hopefully do graduate school at the Art Center College of Design, or something like that. What are your son's future plans with I.D. if you dont mind me asking? Thanks for the help!

As my son is well aware, my opinion of Industrial Design is tainted. I encouraged him to go into Engineering, but he opted for the more artistic discipline of Industrial Design. From my view, design and engineering go hand in hand. I believe one must fully understand the characteristics of product materials and their fabrication before attempting to define aesthetics. I’m also of the belief that a good product is designed from the inside out, rather than defining a pretty exterior, then trying to make its components fit. So you see, I’m not convinced that an Industrial Design degree is of much value. An Engineering degree, on the other hand, opens many employment opportunities.

I don’t know what my son’s future plans are (he’s in his 2nd year of a 5 year degree), but from the work he’s done on his own time I’d say he’s likely to end up in advertising or web design. You can check out some of his work here www.neverstream.com (check out his “gallery” and note that you have to type the word “gallery” in the space provided). I want to re-emphasis that his ability to create these virtual reality images have nothing to do with his Industrial Design education. They are the result of his own creative determination and me providing him with the tools by keeping his PC and graphics software on the cutting edge since he was in 8th grade.

I have no personal experiance in either field, but I will tell you this:

Try to find a job that you wont hate at the least. I didnt go to college-didnt know what I wanted to go for, and still wouldnt. I can tell you it wouldnt be what I do now, since I hate my job. Sure there are days when I'm not counting down from the minute I walk in the door, but not often. I hate cubicles, middle management and being responsible for a group of people that tend to act more like kindergarnders than adults. It pays ok, and has relatively good benefits, so I stay-plus I still cant think of a better job...But the backstabbing enviroment of corporate america wears on you-sure it partiallyfunds the toys, but when your doctor tells you maybe what they thought was asthma isnt really, and might be anxiety due to stress, it makes you wonder if they are worth it.

So, my advice-dont be me!! you're young enough, find your dream job and go for it. Go find a shop like what you'd like to work at/own and talk to them. One of the girls that works for me wants a job doing something COMPLETELY different than what we do, and is actively seeking it-to the point of flying to a place states away for an interview-ah, to be young and have no mortgage and other responsablities! Do it now when its easiest, dont regret it later!!

I’m a strong proponent of any type of apprenticeship. Combine that with some targeted classes and you can hardly lose. I do think it would aid your goal to become competent with one of the major 3D design programs. You’ll have to do your own research to determine which software is the most popular in your field. Full time students (high school or college) can get exceptional deals on professional software from Studica.com. Just keep in mind your computer hardware may need to be upgraded to run it.