Some MAF Theory and question...

mr_woodster

Jul 28, 2003
Riverside, CA
Ok, im doing a 5.0HO swap (a9l/P maf harness etc) into my 66' stang. Ill be wanting to use 24lb injectors and i was wondering what the compatibility of a MARK VIII MAF is with the 5.0 computer. I know its calibrated for the 24lb injectors, but it *did* come on a dohc-4.6. Anyone have any exsperience or advice on this (or any other) junkyard swap? :)

• Sponsors (?)

mr_woodster said:
Ok, im doing a 5.0HO swap (a9l/P maf harness etc) into my 66' stang. Ill be wanting to use 24lb injectors and i was wondering what the compatibility of a MARK VIII MAF is with the 5.0 computer. I know its calibrated for the 24lb injectors, but it *did* come on a dohc-4.6. Anyone have any exsperience or advice on this (or any other) junkyard swap? :)

Why do you need 24lb injectors? Stock 19lb injectors are good for just over 300hp N/A with the 88lph fuel pump being the weakest link of the HO Mustangs fuel system. If your doing further mods then I would get a aftermarket meter myself for the 24lb injectors.

I'm doing a 5.0 EFI swap as well, and from what I've learned, the 4.6 mafs are not compatible with the A9L/ A9P. If you're set on running the 24s you might want to look into a 93 Cobra ecu/maf combo. As Crash7772 stated, you could get an aftermarket maf (like pro-m 80mm or whatever) that would allow you to run the 24s with the A9l/A9P. I'm trying to get 250 -270 hp with my combo using the 19s. I'm gonna use a 95 mustang GT (not Cobra) 70mm maf as an upgrade with my setup.

Great, shooting for about 300rwhp . 95 cobra motor(gt40 heads) with trickflow intake and a few other bolt ons, maybe a little boost later on via turbo. The 70mm later model 94-95 maf is a plug/play setup?

THanks for your responses!
-Jarrod

mr_woodster said:
The 70mm later model 94-95 maf is a plug/play setup?

Yes but you'll have to reprogram the A9L for your 24 pounders. Ford's MAFs aren't calibrated to a specific injector, all of the injector calibrations are done in the computer. You can use the later 96+ MAFs but they have to have the correct connector spliced into your wiring. There was a picture of it somewhere on one of the forums.