Source for "lip" spoiler for a notch?

I suppose if you attached it to the lower slope of the trunk lid (as they did in the racecar pictured above, minus the support/mounting rods) instead of the top surface, sort of like some of those drag wings, and just left a hole out for the keyhole indentation, then painted the whole thing to match, maybe that would work...?

Of course, the "easy" way would be to rig it up using those support/mounting rods and whatnot, but that'd be butt-ugly on a street car ... not to mention the fact that it'd pretty much make your trunk inaccessable. I kind of wonder how prone to bending under wind force a sheetmetal wing would be at highway speeds of around 75 MPH. Obviously, a wing the size of the one shown above would pretty much NEED some support rods, but I'm thinking maybe four triangle-shaped supports riveted or bolted onto the 45* bent wing's underside/backside (one on each end and one on either side of the trunk lock center area) would be enough to support it and not make it look tacky. Again, gotta smooth/primer/paint it all to match, but otherwise ... why not?

Er, well ... wait, let me rethink that a second. Because the back surface of the trunklid isn't exactly flat, either. There'd be about 1/4" gap or more on both far ends if you just laid the thing right up against there. Crap. Why couldn't Ford just have made the thing straight, since cars were all about the boxy shapes back in the 80's?

Call it blasphemy, but I'd almost suspect that the center section of a regular 80's Camaro spoiler would just about lay right on there, though, since they had just a tiny bit of a curve to them, too...

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not really much of a fabricator just mechanically inclined, my fabrication comes in with food since I'm a chef. Couldn't you just get a piece of aircraft aluminum make the same shape as that spoiler to fit the bodylines.Then just weld steel rods at various points along the at the meeting point of the body and bolt it threw the trunk? How about just making it and have your whole trunk in bare metal and just welding it and blending it? We really have to figure this out, I need one of these on my coupe. Can't we put our heads together to figure this out?

:drool:
paintwing.jpg

I work at a fab & machine shop and have kicked around trying to make one of these. We make mostly aerospace stuff, but I've made stuff for myself on my own time (they don't mind). One way to make it is to make a set of dies & stamp them out where they are ready to go, or another is to make two pieces and weld them together. I will probably do the second because it isn't practical to make a set of dies (nor cheap as I would have to buy the material).

As for fastening it to the car I would use PEM studs. They are a stud that are stamped into sheetmetal and are flat on the backside. A skim coat of filler would cover any dimples left after installation. Making it out of steel might make it too heavy, making the trunk springs unable to hold the trunk open. Just my .02.

What about making it out of aluminum? Also, how flimsy would it be? Would it be able to be on the highway and not flap around? Another thing I see with the pics at the top is that the hole in the metal doesn't line up properly with the key hole making it obvious at second glance. If you could make one of these and make it look better then the top picture I would definitely be interested in buying one. What do you think you would charge for this?

I think something along the lines of the S281 wing for the 99-04 cars might look good? Something that extends off the back a little, sits real low, almost even with the top of the trunk, and is subtle. Similar to a race wing for a notch, but not just sheet metal, something with some meat to it, and small!

Hmmmm... This is an old topic but......

That car belongs to Carguy929 (Damien).... The pic was taken at my house. I put a motor & trans in that car for him. He bought the car as a roller & the wing was already on it. Here are a few pics..

View attachment 368596

If ya need more info... [email protected]

:nice:

That's badass.....that and the drag wing are the only wings that should ever go on a coupe IMO. I wish i could find someone who manufactures aluminum wings like that....they're perfect for road racing and actually make usable downforce.

That dude does have a sick setup. I think he has the right idea with the race style lip. But it does need to be thicker...and cant be made from aluminum...not on a street car. It should be a little thicker and made out of fiberglass. More in line with the small 03-04 cobra lip! that would be sick.