Spanked a Acura RSX Type S (how much HP?)

rygenstormlocke

former 10 second badass
Aug 13, 2005
Northern Virginia
Anyone know what this car is pushing. Yesterday a RSX Type S, not sure what year pulls up to me at a red light. He revs his engine and gives me a thumbs up. I was weary of the RSX cause a friend of my had one pushing 400HP, but I figured what the hell. Maybe this one is stock. So light hits green, we take off...I spanked him on the quarter mile (a whole car length ahead of him) and right around 100 he catches up...but by that time I was slowing down....lot of cops on that stretch cause its a straight road. I give him the thumbs up and we go our seperate ways.

Anyone know what type of HP or torque his car is pushing?

• Sponsors (?)

Vehicle type: front-engine, front-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 3-door coupe
Price as tested: $24,140 (base price: $24,140)
Engine type: DOHC 16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, port fuel injection
Displacement: 122 cu in, 1998cc
Power (SAE net): 210 bhp @ 7800 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 143 lb-ft @ 7000 rpm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transmission: 6-speed manual
Wheelbase: 101.2 in
Length/width/height: 172.4/67.9/54.9 in
Curb weight: 2848 lb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zero to 60 mph: 6.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 16.6 sec
Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.9 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.9 sec @ 95 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 136 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 181 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.86 g
EPA fuel economy, city driving: 23 mpg
C/D-observed fuel economy: 22 mpg

A few weeks back I was reading an article about how the Asian car companys were over rating their HP... The Toyota Camary was 210 HP in 2005... same car, same drivetrain in 2006... 190HP..... hmmm....

LOL!

I know the base one got rolled back to 155 from 160 due to the sae changing their rules to close loop holes in the testing. Not sure about the type s but I would assume it got rolled back as well since they are the same car. Also, I think the guy who raced has a v6 mustang not the gt, jfischer
so apparently its not match for the v6 either :)

Klay said:
I know the base one got rolled back to 155 from 160 due to the sae changing their rules to close loop holes in the testing. Not sure about the type s but I would assume it got rolled back as well since they are the same car. Also, I think the guy who raced has a v6 mustang not the gt, jfischer
so apparently its not match for the v6 either :)

I think an RSX Type S could hold its own, or even beat, a V6 Mustang - depending on driver. It's a very fast little car, but just not GT fast :)

2002-2005 Acura RSX Type-S

The RSX replaces the Integra. Features include a highly tuned i-VTEC engine and firmer suspension. Sitting on the Civic platform, it comes only in 2-door coupe form. Facelifted and 10 hp added for 2005. Sold in Japan as the Integra.

Base price : $23,320 Get a free price quote

Engine : 4 cylinder, DOHC, front engine FWD
Displacement : 1,998 cc
Valve : 16 valves, 4 valves per cylinder
Transmission : 6-spd manual
Fuel economy : city - 23-24 mpg
highway - 31 mpg

Suspension : F - Independent MacPherson strut
R - Independent double wishbone
Brakes : F - Vented discs
R - Solid discs

Horsepower : 200 hp @ 7400 rpm('02-'04), 210 hp @ 7800 rpm('05+)
Torque : 142 lb-ft @ 6000 rpm('02-'04), 143 lb-ft @ 7000 rpm('05+)
Redline : 7900-8100 rpm

Top speed : 145 mph
0-60 mph : 6.7 sec.('02-'04), 6.5 sec.('05)
0-¼ mile : 15.2 sec @ 92.7 mph('02-'04)
60-0 braking distance : 135 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.86 g

Curb Weight : 2769-2840 lbs
Overall length : 172.4 in.
Wheelbase : 101.2 in.
Overall Width : 67.9 in.
Height : 54.9-55.1 in.

A stocker should be no problem...............

Can't always underestimate the four-bangers...

In my only "race" I've had in my GT I came up against a modded RSX Type S. I could tell he had mods because of the MSD sticker :rlaugh: on his rear winshield, plus his muffler made a sound like when one... never mind, I'll just let you figure it out. Let's just say it wasn't stock.

Anyway, he was a fast bugger... way faster than I'd given him credit for :eek: I was barely pulling on him until I got it into third... then I finally was getting some distance. the closeness of the race really startled me. I think with his mods he may have had a better HP-to wieght ratio than me but as it has been said, "there's no relacement for displacment". :owned:

RSX-S with the Hondata reflash and a couple of other things go pretty good. I even managed to take out a couple of 2005 GTs at the strip in mine. I was surprised since according to the mags a stock GT should trap about 103...right ? Since mine traps at 100 at best, and a GT should launch better, you can see why I was surprised. What ETs and traps are stock 2005 GTs really seeing at the strip ?

jbak said:
RSX-S with the Hondata reflash and a couple of other things go pretty good. I even managed to take out a couple of 2005 GTs at the strip in mine. I was surprised since according to the mags a stock GT should trap about 103...right ? Since mine traps at 100 at best, and a GT should launch better, you can see why I was surprised. What ETs and traps are stock 2005 GTs really seeing at the strip ?

We have been seeing most of them hit mid to high 13s.

A stock GT should be able to take a bolt-on RSX type S in a race, expecially from a dig. Then again, driver does play a big role as well so that can shake things up a bit.

Wow there are like 14 of you jocking a ricer. If you only beat him by a car length you need to learn to drive. The power to weight ratio isn't that much different but still no match for a mustang. If you cutting it close to an RSX then I'd start saving for some mods. Just my opinion. :shrug:

It is known as a girls car around here too, but most of the Type S's are driven by guys. Isn't the engine they put in the Type S the one all of the civic guys swap into their cars? It isn't exactly a fast car stock, but as with anything I am sure there are some fast ones out there. Like some people have said before, nothing to brag about beating. Now go out there and try to burn some LS1s, lol.

Edit: Just checked and saw that the original poster has a V6 stang, so if he beat a Type S which has similar power and weighs less then that is good.