Spark Plugs for 06 GT

Well, I went with Ford spark plugs, and I've heard that as long as the car has under 50k miles, they come out without too much fight. I do have one more issue though, I've seen a LOT of cars that change the coil packs when they change the plugs, most seem to go to the ACCEL or MSD coils. Is there a reason, like the stock ones suck or break, or is this just a mod for like 5 RWHP that people do?

If you still want a colder heat range, FRPP offers their 3V0 spark plug for our 2005 to early 2008 GT's. They are one heat range colder and are copper cores which conducts 10 times better than platinum, so they're better in high cylinder pressure applications (i.e. superchargers, turbos, and nitrous). They are about $80-$100 per set and last about 6 months of daily driving.

Changing the plugs is very easy if you follow Ford's directions in their TSB. I've changed my plugs about a half dozen times with zero problems.

With my Vortech supercharger, the stock coils were never enough voltage (20K volts) and I has minor spark blowout. I recently installed GMS Hot Street coils (42K volts) and it cured the spark blowout and the car runs so much better/stronger than ever! I should have swapped coils when the blower first went on!

• Sponsors (?)

T bar wrenches are the way to go for this. If you do the calculations, statics, with a T bar they are not a shear force which is what breaks bolts, and plugs in this case. T bars only put a rotational force, as long as you put equal pressure on each side. Still go with the sea foam just as an extra measure because if the lower end sticks a rotational force may still break the plug, although majority of the time the shear is what does it in.

Shear force is completely perpendicular to the object your referencing... A T-bar is the same as a wrench or a socket and a ratchet, your force creates a moment arm resulting in higher torque per input force than just twisting it by hand, although a T-bar creates two moment arms, but as everybody knows, moments can be added around the same axis. So, you are wrong, straight shear force does not break the plugs. That was completely flawed logic lol take a class in Mechanics of Materials before you attempt to go in-depth into what breaks stuff. Besides, statics equations are only good if an object is not moving in in any direction relative to your reference frame, plugs are not completely brittle, so you must take other affects such as strain hardening and other irregularities into account, which allows the wrench to move, which COMPLETELY takes statics out of the equation if you even thought you could prove this happens using statics...

your reasoning = fail

If I were you, I'd change them right now. The sooner, the less chance of breaking one or more off. I'd still follow the TSB procedure and be sure to use nickel anti-seize on the smooth barrel below the threads when you put the new ones in. Are you going with a 1 piece plug?

To be honest.... I haven't given it any thought -

I just had the cams installed - and I guess that would of been the time to do it...rats....whats this TSB procedure - I have the complete manual on a 05 gt from ford - is it in there ?- I was really thinking I could get up to 45k on miles before this needed to be done - ...I guess I'll have to start looking into it....thanks...

Here is the TSB number:

08-7-6 SPARK PLUG REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS

Look it up and read it. With only 21K miles, you shouldn't have much of a problem getting the old ones out. I'd suggest getting a good penetrant such as Aero Kroil.
Are you going to go back with a stock heat range or something colder?

Bought mine from RockAuto about a year ago, one plug the little cone slipped over the spark area (brand new in box). Rock Auto wouldn't warranty their sale and had to go to Champion Canada who arranged to replace locally. The past few weeks my 06 Mustang GT has been driving me crazy, running rough and misfiring. Finally, finally after trying everything with Maf, throttle body, different tunes and almost checking phasers, timing and worrying about broken comp cams valve spring, I decided to put the original motorcraft spark plugs in and voila, car is as smooth as silk again. Examined the Champions 7989 and found on one that the metal neck just above the threads and the socket head was cracked and broken on both sides. Absolutely no reason for this to be broken as car had ran well for over a year and the plugs had not been touched. My experience with Champions. Have photos of both.

Im starting to consider changing my plugs, Im at 55k and they still seem
fairly crisp..... but why doesnt or hasnt Ford redesigned these things???
For $100. + per set you kind of want plugs that dont break.
Ive done spark plug changing on every kind of car for decades and never
even considered that the plug would break!......:shrug: