speed guidlines

after reading our friends post about his speeding ticket got me thinking about an idea of mine. Instead of speed limts that apply to everything from semis to smart cars, i think we should have speed guidlines. Take the posted speed and then rate all the vehicles to either 15 mph above or below that. EX. old bone of pickup has to drive 5 mph below new pickup can drive posted, new mustang 10 over new vett/gt500 15 over, old bone mustang w/ bad tires 10 under, smart car 10 under.

just thought i'd toss this out there see what everyone thought

happy independence day!!! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

brilliant. The speed limit could be a percentage of your cars top speed. On the interstate, say, 70% of your top speed. On a Mustang that would be 105.

I still cant believe something like the autobahn exists. Those germans are crazy. Can you imagine? No speed limit. There is a huge difference between 200mph and 150. You could literally be going 150mph, and get passed. Crazy.

I also heard there was a time when Montana had no limit, other than 'what was safe'. Is that true? I dont guess it worked out too well, because they changed it back to 75.

You've got a good point about limiting the speed based on the car, but the speed at which you should be allowed to drive should also depend on the driver. Right now I'd argue that the speed limit should be lowered to 55 because most of the people with licenses aren't good enough drivers to handle a car going that fast. They hand out drivers licenses like the toys in a box of Lucky Charms.
Here's what you do. You make the written driving test much harder. That takes a lot of people off the road, and makes it safer for the rest of us to drive faster. Then, you make the driving test harder. Seriously, Helen Keller could pass both tests right now. Include evasive driving as part of the test, then qualify the person for a speed rating.
While you are at it... I had to take a seperate test for my motorcycle license, so lets add another test for SUV's and large cars. Seriously, just because you passed a test driving a Kia, doesn't mean you can drive a Suburban.

You've got a good point about limiting the speed based on the car, but the speed at which you should be allowed to drive should also depend on the driver. Right now I'd argue that the speed limit should be lowered to 55 because most of the people with licenses aren't good enough drivers to handle a car going that fast. They hand out drivers licenses like the toys in a box of Lucky Charms.
Here's what you do. You make the written driving test much harder. That takes a lot of people off the road, and makes it safer for the rest of us to drive faster. Then, you make the driving test harder. Seriously, Helen Keller could pass both tests right now. Include evasive driving as part of the test, then qualify the person for a speed rating.
While you are at it... I had to take a seperate test for my motorcycle license, so lets add another test for SUV's and large cars. Seriously, just because you passed a test driving a Kia, doesn't mean you can drive a Suburban.

Would that not be a little difficult for an officer to identify a speeder vs. someone that is just going their "rated speed"?

Will never happen guys. I like the idea, but it will never happen.

That is actually an even better idea. There could be different levels of license, and the plate could be a different color for the more advanced drivers. In finland, it apparently takes several years to get a "full" license, and that involves lots of track time, hydroplaning, etc.

This could happen, it will just take some political action. I know lots of us want different speed laws, we just never get organized around it, because we dont care that much. Maybe some politician out there may be able to make a career running with this as part of his/her platform.

eh, too many problems with people with bad judgement.

kids got killed aroudn this time last year because they were speeding on a sh¡t road, not wearing seat belts. i don't even like doing the speed limit on this road because it is so run down and throws the car all over.

I may be Germany about there i read that while its true the road has no limit, the drivers and cars do. They have various levels of ability they have to prove to get a license for the higher speeds. And the vehicles have to be up to the task as well. Only accomplished drivers in proper equipment can travel at high speeds. Makes total sense to me.

Given the proper rode surface, a skilled driver in a well maintained sports car is safe at 120 or more where as a goof ball in a suv with off road tires is begging for death at 90.

Keep in mind the Autobahn and other roads like that in Europe are maintained significantly better than anything here.

I like the idea of staged speed limits, but it would obviously be impossible to implement. It would need to be a combo of car and driver skill. An idiot piloting a Ferrari doesn't mean he'd be safer at 100 than a normal level headed person in a Mustang. Likewise, Michael Shumaker couldn't pilot a half crushed car with brakes that barely work at 100 better than said idiot in Ferrari...

I also don't think I'd drive 100 mph regularly even if it were the speed limit. One, I don't trust everyone else going that speed, and two, our gas mileage would go down the dumper! I like cruising at 70-75 mph and getting 27-30 mpg!

"Keep in mind the Autobahn and other roads like that in Europe are maintained significantly better than anything here" yeah they are! The autobahn is 27" of asphalt compared to our 6" or so. Also if a crack does appear that section of road is replaced not just tarred over. It was designed to be as straight as possible with long curves to minimize steerting wheel movement the road also never goes up more than 4 feet per mile to more easily keep a constant speed. German autobahn ftw!
Posted via Mobile Device