stang woes

ironmedic

Mar 18, 2003
Puyallup, WA
hey guys, i need some advice. i dont know which forum to put this in so i guess i will try here. i have a 2001 GT and i made a big mistake. i cosigned for a friend on the car. well, she made payments in a timely manner and she felt the need to trade it. i told her go ahead and let me know what i need to sign. well i left town for a family reunion and i received a message that she dumped the car on me and left it in a town 30 miles away. she decided to cosign on another car with another friend. so there i was...1000 miles away and i had to call a friend to go fetch my car from the dealership she left it at. now i am stuck between a rock and a hard place. she is refusing to sign off on my paperwork to take possession of the car and she refuses to sign off on a trade deal for it. she claims to be so busy with her life that she cant do it. i am currently taking her to small claims court for the payments i had to make. i am hoping this will coax her into signing my paperwork to release the car. if i can get her to sign, i will drop the small claim against her. there is a high chance she will not show up to the mediation so i should be able to win by default.
i understand that i cosigned this loan and that this is my problem. i made the mistake so i am trying to salvage what i can. i want to get her name off the car so i can sell it and get rid of it. i just cant get her to do a damn thing. she is doing this all on purpose to me and it just sucks. does anyone have any advice for me concerning this?

• Sponsors (?)

the small claims thing is your best bet, good luck man, legally I'm not sure you can do anything about it...

also sounds to me like this "friend" was um more than a friend at some point... women are vindictive.

as far as i know with a cosign you will be liable for if she doesnt pay the payment, but with her trading it in and running off with another loan i think you have something to go off of... SUE THE BITCH!!!!!!!!

the car goes for $12,500 as is so i am looking to sell near that price. i might cancel the extended warranty and then force her to sign off on the car. then i will refinance it and get a cheaper payment. i should be able to win the small claims against her concerning this. i feel the small claims judgement is more than enough damage for her. i am going to get all documentation of what happened and get a letter from her salesman stating she ditched the stang in another city. my friend told me he has seen court cases concerning cosigned cars and he feels this should go my way. i just have to show some game in the court room and make her look like a complete idiot. i am going to opt for her wages to be garnished. that will make her think twice for screwing with me. she is a retard! she went out and purchased a used 2006 chevy trailblazer for over $30k with 20k miles on it. those things are worth near 20k. she went to one of those "i need help financing because of my credit" kinda places. makes me wonder about her interest rate.

the way i see it..she pretty much screwed herself. now she has 2 cosigned loans out right now and has 2 people to deal with.

I worked in auto finance industry for about 10 years....I dont believe you need her to sign on anything as long as you are also on the contract. I dont see why you couldn't just sell the unit even if you do not have the title or her present.
I beleive the loan contract will say

"her name" or
"your name"

As long as theres the "Or" you can make changes to the legal binding contract.

But also, I have never worked any case's in your state...mostly Illinois, Mo, In, Wi,Ky

Have you gone to the dealership with the car? I bet they will bend any law to get your deal done.

I would traded the stang for another stang..this way you get a longer term and lower your payment. Also, as far as the payments you paid..I would contact a contingency attorney who will work for 20 to 25 percent. with no up front fee besides court costs...maybe around $200.00 which you will get back when you get judgment on that biyatch. Find out where she works so you can get a third party citiation also find out what banks she has her money in (if any) to garnish her checking account.

oh, also, dont let her and you dont let that get repoed as the bank will sue you...both of you for the difference after they auction it off.

I seen this situation about twice a day...these situations get nasty like a divorce....and often it starts cause the signer was late so the co signer gets pissed then the signer gets more pissed and it all snowballs from there.

I almost co signed once.....What the F was I thinking? I quickly ran out the dealer.
people ask me now to cosign, I quickly change the subject...How bout them Bears?

my grandpa cosigned the loan for my stang for me. i personally wouldnt cosign for anybody - VERY VERY few exceptions.

IMO only cosign if you can afford to take over the payments in full.

sucks to hear it man - hope it works out for ya.

cut brake lines on new car to teach her a lesson

i put in for a refinance of the car but they need a release of interest form from her. they have everything ready and she just needs to sign. she kept saying how she has a life and she is so busy during the month of december. after she said all that, i ran to the small claims court and got her served. my friend is trying to locate her so he can serve her. if she blows this off, im gonna go get her wages garnished after the courts are done. im confident i have a good case that will work in my favor somehow. the clerk told me the courts cannot force her to sign the papers. honestly, i dont know why she wont do this. i know she is doing this to be a pain on me. i need her name off the car so i can move on with my life.
i have a friend at a dealership that might be able to give me a hand in this. if things turn south alot faster, i will have to see what he can do. i dont have time for her crap and its getting old.

in the end, all she needs to sign is a release of interest form. thats it!!

hey guys i have a question. according to the bank, i am the primary on the loan and she is the cosigner. i have the better credit so why am i the primary? am i confused on the definition of each? from what i was told a long time ago, everything is 50/50 regardless where the stuff is signed. i plan on talking to the bank to see what they say. i have a valid case against her in small claims but with this little hiccup, it might throw a loop in the entire case.

my grandpa cosigned the loan for my stang for me. i personally wouldnt cosign for anybody - VERY VERY few exceptions.

That's a little different. I would cosign for my future children, grandchildren or other RARE exceptions...but friends and esp girlfriends??? NO WAY!!

Until we are married, she buys her own cars and other major purchases.

ok guys the situation is solved. god her and her new boyfriend are both high school kids in 25 year old bodies. they argued with me over the phone over the fact i had her served. he kept telling me i had no case because i cosigned.. of course he threw in some nice words as well. i pretty much put him in his place. i didnt want to give away my case to him. i had everything planned.
in the end, i got her to sign off on the car to release it. the stang is mine now. im probably going to hold on to it until the summer before my kid is born. i have an infiniti FX35 to help with the baby but the stang needs to go. it has too much emotional baggage lol! maybe i need a cobra or something now.