starter replacement

i was wondering how hard is it gonna be for me to replace my starter, its an 01 gt 5spd. I have a set of bbk long tube headers on, so i know this might make it a bit more difficult to replace the starter. but for those who have long tubes and have had to replace your starter what are some tips and tricks you recommend.

• Sponsors (?)

The top starter bolt is difficult to access. What works for me is a 13mm flex socket on a very long extension (24"). Run the extension through the K-member. Put the socket on the top bolt by feel. Have a buddy turn the wrench while you hold the extension.

To re-install, lightly tape the bolt to the socket so that it does not fall off while feeding through the K-member.

I found the first one I did very hard. Now that I can visualize the location, it is actually straight forward (not easy, but not so hard).

wmburns is exactly right with a stock exhaust. It seems like it would be a lot more work with long tubes though. I would imagine you have to at least unbolt the header from the heads and rest of the exhaust to give enough room to slide the starter out.

I took the a/c compressor off my car to get that top bolt. The compressor is just the belt and 4 bolts, you don't have to take the A/C lines off of it. After that, it was a snap with a long extension.

+ 1 on the 13mm with a bunch of swivels and extensions. I did it by peeping through the front of the K-member and reaching back for my ratchet, while not the most difficult thing i have replaced, It would have been easier with more curse words and a buddy.

Just Curious, How long have you had your Long Tube Headers on, and if they were Coated at all.