Starter Troubles

GAU89LXStang

Feb 12, 2003
I just installed a brand new PA Performance starter in my 87 GT 5 speed yesterday. The factory starter went bad. It is still having the problems that led the original starter to go though.

If I rev the engine in neutral or with the clutch pushed in it revs as it should. But if the tranny is in gear it will not rev past 3500rpms. If I floor it it trys to die on me. So to test it I revved it to 3000rpms and the let the clutch out in first gear, basically a weak burnout. This should have sent the tires up in smoke as it has 195/60 15 winter tires on it. It bogged down immediatley, like I was launching it with no gas pedal. It does this in all the gears. It also seems way down on power.

Could it be the little relay on the fender? I have no idea what else it could be. Please help me figure this out.

• Sponsors (?)

This doesn't sound like anything even closely related to your starter........Does the car act any different with the engine warm or cold? What happens if you are rolling at 2,000 rpm and peg the gas or rolling at 2,000 rpm and gently roll into the gas? My immediate instinct would be a bad fuel filter; your engine revs fine at idle because there is low demand for fuel, but under load it bogs like a mofo. If you give some more detail about what the car is doing it would help. You could also learn a lot by having the codes pulled from your computer.

i agree with Nkau. unless you messed with other components while doing the starter R/R, the starter has nothing to do with your problems.

as said, pull codes and see what it says (even if the CEL is not on, KAM keeps codes stored). other things to check that are quick: engine vacuum. should be 15-20 inches. make sure your dizzy hold down is not loose. if your dizzy is loose and 're-timing' itself, that can produce results like you are seeing.

Haben Sie Glueck. Bis Spater.

Hmm fuel filter...it is cheap, and to be honest I haven't done my "Power Tune Up" yet. :notnice: Yes the car bogs down if I peg it or roll into the throttle. But why did the other starter go? I know that a "hung" starter can cause these problems too. By "hung" I mean that the starter stays engaged. Couldn't the relay switch be the culprit? Also I am getting some odor in the car. Like something electric burning. There is also a whine coming from the engine bay.

Thanks for your input...keep it coming...

Mo' Town

Das ist gut. Ich habe freund hier wer kannst sprechen Deutsch. Aufwiedersehen. Und danke.

Mo' Town

What was the problem with your last starter? If the bendix wasn't disenganging the little starter gear, you should know it. Maybe you want to pull the starter back off and take a look? Also, the solenoid on the fender isn't the problem; when they go bad they will either not allow the starter to crank, or will cause the starter to try and run even with the key switch in the run position, you would DEFINITELY hear that if it was the case. Can you isolate the sound of the "whining" with the car running and the hood up?

Is the Bendix part of the starter? If it is then it is good. PA Performance only uses new stuff to build their starters. If not how do I get to it to check it out? If it is bad where do I get a new one?

Thanks,
Mo' Town

i think you are off on a tangent. your problem should not be the starter or its components (unless im missing something).
the bendix is integral to the starter. if you ever think it is bad, talk to PA. also make sure your battery is fully charged up.

but that should have nothing to do with your lack or revving abilities. i would go back to Nkau's good advice about pulling the codes.

Ich wohnte in Duetschland 15 jahre weit, aber jetzt kenne Ich fast Niemand dass Deutsch spricht . Ich habe 'rust.' LOL.