Starting All over again....

89StangGT50

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2001
TX
:flag: Its been a while since Ive been on here, and its good to be back.

I have an 88GT with the mods listed in the sig, so I know a bit about the old foxes, but im Lost and so far behind with the new s197's

I did a little research, and I wound up buying an 07GT. What are some of the smaller mods people are doing (and liking) with these S197s. The mufflers are the first things that have to go, are flows the way to go or is another company dominating for these cars.

One more thing, the car has red gauges, Ive never seen red on the newer ones, does this mean its equipped with the Mycolor package?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

CAI, tune and pulleys seems to be a popular first mod. Nice jump in performance there and if you can resist the temptation to put your foot into it all the time, you might just engine the benefit of increased fuel economy as well.

From there perhaps a high flow mid pipe and rear end gear swap would be a good second choice.

Pretty much all the bolt on choices you would make for your Fox body will apply to the 4.6L 3V. Just keep in mind, unlike the Fox, the S197's are equipped with decent H/C/I from the factory that don't need to be addressed until later down the road. ;)

One more thing, the car has red gauges, Ive never seen red on the newer ones, does this mean its equipped with the Mycolor package?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

You should be able to adjust the color of the gages with the buttons just left of the 12V jack. I forget what the exact option is called, but it comes with the interior upgrade package (IUP). There's also the ambient lighting option, that button is just to the right of the cup holders if you have it.
Dan

Gearbanger pretty much nailed it. Its a no-brainer to do the CAI/Tune out of the gate, best bang for your buck mod out there right now. Plus it will allow you to tune it up proper when you do gears and exhaust mods later. I personally would skip the pulleys, and do suspension stuff. Mid-pipe or gears would probably come after that, most people agree on this board that 4.10s are the way to go for a manual.

It's not uncommon to see with all above mods a solid 300rwhp and mid to low 13's. And that's all without radically increasing NVH to boot.

i like how flows sound personally on these cars. i haven't heard many different exhaust set ups in person ,but on like youtube and stuff i like the flows the best. and off road pipes sound kinda raspy so a high flow catted midpipe will take some of that raspyness away.

4:10s or 4.30s or even lower, tuner, cold air intake, short throw shifter, sticky tire, and lower control arms, and a good driver you should see 12s.

+1 on all of the above.

Except, knowing what I know now, I'd do the LCA's as one of the first mods. That wheel hop was annoying as hell! You can pick them up for cheap, and install them yourself in about an hour.

i definitely agree. i know a kid who has done so much to his car, even has nitrous on it. but still hasn't done anything to the suspension.:nono:

with the car being under warrenty for the next year i'm just getting the suspension solid. then after i make this thing run like its on a railroad track i'll plan out what type of blower and brand and etc. and have the bottom end together.

also, another great thing about these cars is the rear end has 31 spline axles, vs i think the stock on the foxes were like 28 or so.

so a little bit stronger axles.