Steeda? Clueless.

Stang2003GT

Jul 7, 2003
I called steeda today to get a price on a VT Stage 1 cam swap. They told me that they have to pull my whole motor to install VT stage 1 cams. I discuss the fact that you can do a cam swap without even removing the timing cover and that you dont even need to install aftermarket valve springs. They told me that they wont even touch my motor unless they do the tune as well($250+SCT tuner Price). Then he asked me what my mods were, I relay that I have a Mac Prochamber, 2.5 Flowmaster catback and K&n filterswap. Then he tells me that a cam swap does very very little on a moter with no intake modifcations. He explains how they did a cam swap on a motor with headers and intake mods and with a set of comp cams he made only 3 rwhp.

I told him that Ive seen people on forums (here) with motors with off-road exhaust and with VT stage 1 cams that have gained 15-25 rwhp. He told me that, thats bullsh1t and they didnt do enough dynoing. He tells me he recives ever mustang mag out there. Im like so what, those cams make power and he told me it would do very very little for my motor.

3 rwhp? clueless.

I think Im going to stay away from that overpriced company. For what steeda wants I could get a mongoose kit.

I dont mean to rant so Ill at least compliment them on there firendly help full service, even know ill never give them any of my money.

• Sponsors (?)

Well they told you they need to pull the motor because that is the easiest way to work on these...as to installing the cams without removing the timing cover most reputable shops will not do this because it is not the correct way to do it. Obviously people have used the cam tool but a shop won't because the cams should be degreed in.
Now i'm guessing after you started questioning their knowledge they wrote you off as a customer and started playing with you. They are not known to have stellar customer service but i've never had a problem and ordered many things.
boss330racing.com is in the same area...look them up and see what they tell you.

Cantslowdown said:
I would say the best way is to do it with the motor in the car..
you ever torn into a 4.6? If your a fully equipped shop and have experience then the best way is to drop the K-member and the engine and lift the car up. If your gonna do a half ass install and just pop the valve covers and jam the cams in the engine then that is fine BUT no reputable shop will install them that way without checking the degree of the cam and stand behind their work...This is what the original poster doesn't understand. A major shop won't use the Anderson Tool...Also they won't let you drive away without a proper tune and stand behind their work...

DropTopPony said:
If your a fully equipped shop and have experience then the best way is to drop the K-member and the engine and lift the car up. .

I know my shop can drop the engine out of my car in 35 minutes... it is insane how fast it can go with the right tools and the know how. I gotta pimp my boys again though, L&S auto in BR has hooked me up and done an excellent job all the way. I have never had a guy work on my car that when he was stumped on something,.. be straight forward and tell me.. I gotta look into it some more. Even the best run across new circumstances from time to time, and to know he is smart enough to realize he doesnt know it all is refreshing.

ok </mechanic whoring> :rlaugh: