STEEDA TRI-AX Shifter good?????????

PonyBoy90

Founding Member
Aug 30, 2002
Toronto
I'm interested in swapping out my FORD stock shifter out of my 1990 5.0 and replacing it with a Steeda Tri-ax T5 shifter.

Does anyone here on this board have the Tri-ax installed in their foxbody? How is it? Is there a real noticible difference and if so, in what ways?

I'm looking to do this installation on my own. I have a 5.0 Performance Magazine by Mark Hulohann that pretty much gives a detailed description as well as clear pictures on how to install a PRO 5.0 Shifter. I'm assuming it's the exact same way for any other shifter installation right?

To anyone who installed their own Steeda, can you give me a description as to how you went about installing it and any tips on surprises I may come across that the book I read may not have prepared me for. In my 5.0 Performace book it looks to me the toughest part of the installation procedure will be the removal of the shifter weatherstrip/boot. That's the last piece of rubber that needs to be removed in order to gain access to the 4 13mm shift plate bolts that hold the shifter in place. My understanding is that the 2 nuts at the front closest to the radio are in tight under the console trim and although they may be fairly easy to take out, may be difficult to reinstal. Would full removal of the center console be necessary?

Please share.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

THE BEST!
I really like the steeda Tri-Ax. I've had hurst, Pro 5.0, B&M....Steeda is the best.
Its got that smooth shift feeling and the "Click" like the hurst but it feels even shorter. The Pro 5.0 is short, but it takes more effort to get it moving (in my opinion). The steeda is a more comfortable shifter.
The install is very straight forward and requires just basic tools. You shouldn't have any problems..

1StangtoGo, thanks for your reply. Did you install it yourself or get a professional to do it?

I had one guy install it on his 99 and said he had problems with it popping out of 2nd gear. Something to do with no "centering" it properly??????

How'd your installation go? Seeing as you and I pretty much have the same car I'm assuming installation on a 99 to a 90 is not the same.

Thanks

I wasn't aware you had to adjust the stops on the tri-ax?

I thought these things came preset?????????

Is it a big deal? Are they simple to set? On the stops themselves is there a "scale" and if so, what are the numbers of preference or is it pretty much you find these things out as you go along?????

I'd hate to be driving on the highway and the shifter always popping out of gear.

Thanks

A shifter install is very easy....

Follow this guideline (it is for the Pro 5.0..but practically the same install)...I had both and I like the Pro 5.0 better(it feels stronger and is a nice piece)...

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/shift1.htm

Getting the old shifter off is easy by using the stock shifter handle just pull up on it giving it more and more "pulling power" and it will pop off....scrape all of the old gasket material off and put on a thin line of red gasket maker and then install the shifter...

To adjust the stops (pro 5.0, steeda is very similar)...put the shifter in 1st and back the nut away from the shifter one full turn .....and do the same for 2nd gear....and then check each gear to make sure their is a very small gap between the nut and the shifter to be safe...

Good Luck
David

Agreed the shifter install is very easy, getting the top two bolts out from the rubber boot are a pita but nothing that a small wrech doesnt work on. The shifter stops are very easy also. I had to cut my lower rubber boot a little to get the shifter to fit right, it is bigger around than the stock one.

I love my Tri-Ax and wouldn't trade it for anything else. Though, I do agree that the Pro 5.0 and Tri-Ax are very similar in quality and performance. With either one you can't go wrong, and the install is very straightforward.

LOVE the Steeda. Friend with 03 Cobra and I both have it. If you are using a ratchet you will need a flex joint for the front two bolts- it was pretty tough getting those out, I did it about three weeks ago. Anything Steeda sells comes with step-by-step almost stupid-proof (I need that!) instructions. A little stiff at first, loosens up after 300-500 miles to just perfect!

I also love my Steeda Tri-Ax, I just installed it a few weekends ago (before the super-cold weather hit). It shifts great, and offers two height adjustments; one for more comfort and the other for even shorter shifts...

Install was easy, the only pain was the (aforementioned) two 8mm bolts under the console. There isn't much clearance there, so I used an open end wrench. Just be patient and you should be OK. Steeda's instructions are excellent, follow them and you shouldn't have any issues.

Take Care,

DJ

I'm not the only one that had to trim the lower rubber boot am I? Because the triax has a wider base than the stocker and it wouldn't fit right unless i trimmed some of the boot off. I'll feel like a real idiot if it actually fits without trimming lol

hey....i just put in the tri-ax last night and its killer.

definitely gonna help out on my track times and never miss third again. My was a cinch to install. i had my center console out from installing a new heater core so it was a breeze. it may be a little tough with it still in but i'm sure not too bad. and to whomever....yes u have to set the stops...r u crazy.
well good luck man. STEEDA all the way

I installed it myself and had no problems. Just follow the instructions and you'll have nothing to worry about.
Having good tools helps. Any job is quick and easy with the right tools. Ratcheting wrenches are a life saver when your talking about cramped spots like the tunnel under the dash. They are worth thier weight in gold. I've been using them everyday at work and haven't broken anything, they haven't gotten sloppy or stopped working. I love them.
Sorry, I get kinda jumpy talking about tools. The Snap-on guy is Santa to me...Only difference is he takes most of my money...Damm him...