steering rack???

lazy

Founding Member
Feb 11, 1999
I just crawled under the car and noticed that the clamp that goes over the rubber boot which connects to the steering rack is gone. Do I need to replace the entire steering rack on can I just get another clamp? TIA

• Sponsors (?)

is the boot still there

if the boot is still there then get a hose clamp to do it if you want a cheap effective fix. if no then get a replacement from the auto store. im not sure if you can opent it and put it on or have to pull the tie rod ent to do that. the clamp is just used to keep dust and dirt out

01CobraEric said:
if the boot is still there then get a hose clamp to do it if you want a cheap effective fix. if no then get a replacement from the auto store. im not sure if you can opent it and put it on or have to pull the tie rod ent to do that. the clamp is just used to keep dust and dirt out

Just clamp it....you can get the same type clamps from Autozone or get a simple hose clamp.

You would have to replace the outter tie rod end just to replace the boot because you destroy the rod when you remove it.

lazy said:
Thanks for the info....I had plan to replace the tie rods and do the bumpsteer mod anyway.
Before you decide on the bumpsteer, look at the instructions on how they want you to have the car alligned with them in place.

You actually have to have people sit on your cross brace and lower the car or have the alignment shop pull it down with a winch....I don't like either of those ideas. http://www.steeda.com/PR/Mustang/techQA/BumpsteerInstallation.htm

What you are trying to accomplish is lowering the steering rack to achieve the level horizontal alignment of the steering rack like it was when it wasn't lowered.

Another way of doing this is with the offset steering rack bushings. They will lower the rack permantely without having to make any more adjustments....granted, you don't have the adjustability that you would with bumpsteer, but you prolly really don't need it if the offset rack bushings lower it correctly.