Steve's Megasquirt/tunerstudio Help Thread

Sorry, just saw this. Not sure why the tag didn't notify me...
Anyway, it's a stock replacement distributor. I will try to populate the table with 10 degrees and see what happens. It will be Saturday before I can look at it. Will post up when I mess with it. Thanks!

I don't know why, probably the same reason the tag from Sunday for me also didn't notify me.

It wouldn't hurt to also try a more "realistic" value of 20 as the fixed value (that's closer to normal idle advance) and then populate the table with the same value. This way you're testing a value that's closer to where the table is normally.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

@a91what
I finally got some time to load the tune you sent me, car started and even idled fairly well! :hail:
I highlighted the entire VE table and adjusted until idle was smooth. Slightly opening the throttle caused it to lean out though, but its a good start. Could you take a look at my data log and advise where to proceed from here please?

Attachments

• 2016-10-01_11.26.09.msq
    111.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 2016-10-01_10.24.01.msl
    2.1 MB · Views: 101
@a91what
I finally got some time to load the tune you sent me, car started and even idled fairly well! :hail:
I highlighted the entire VE table and adjusted until idle was smooth. Slightly opening the throttle caused it to lean out though, but its a good start. Could you take a look at my data log and advise where to proceed from here please?
No problem I'll have your tune adjusted a little later this evening of course it won't be perfect either so you'll need to load it up datalogit and send me another

@Sparky714 here is a redo of the tune. I need to know what WBo2 you are using to really help out. maybe this will stop some of the oscillation. somehow I missed a few settings/tables... lol
turn the autotune on and let it eat. but first get me a datalog of the car running before you start the VE analyze, once it starts to adjust the fuel it makes the datalogs hard to interpret.

Attachments

• sparky tune.msq
    112 KB · Views: 125
@Sparky714 here is a redo of the tune. I need to know what WBo2 you are using to really help out. maybe this will stop some of the oscillation. somehow I missed a few settings/tables... lol
turn the autotune on and let it eat. but first get me a datalog of the car running before you start the VE analyze, once it starts to adjust the fuel it makes the datalogs hard to interpret.

This is the WB I have http://www.plxdevices.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=897346002719. I selected the Inovate PLX when I did the setup, seems to have the same specs. I'll load the tune tomorrow and get a log. I appreciate your help. :nice:

@a91what
I loaded the tune you sent me and fired up the car. It started, tried to idle about 900 rpm and then went up to about 2000rpm and stayed there. I took a quick log and then hit the auto tune to see if it would settle back down. Idle wouldn't come back down, so I slowly opened the throttle and let it tune. It did smooth things out a bit. I unplugged the IAC and restarted, I could get it to idle well about 900rpm with just the throttle. started another log and auto tune. It wanted to oscillate a bit between 1100 and 2100rpm, then settled down above that. I compared the old tune and the new one and it looks like you made some idle changes, but I'm not sure what they affect. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2016-10-02_10.37.58.msl
    1.8 MB · Views: 138
  • 2016-10-02_12.54.15.msl
    15.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 2016-10-02_12.39.04.msq
    112.3 KB · Views: 86
The changes I made were to the advance timing idle control and the closed loop idle. The advance timing idle tables were incorrect adding 15* of timing at idle, this could be from a firmware discrepancy. Either way I fixed it.
You were not going into closed loop idle so I made some changes to force the algorithm to run, now that it's going into closed loop we need to adjust the settings again. In idle control make sure the valve is set to normal and not reverse. Hz needs to be at 313.

Idle is by far the HARDEST area to tune and you will spend the majority of your time in this area of the tune.... so get comfortable with the settings and tables.
I'm beginning to see that! I am going through the settings and tables so I'm more familiar with them.

IAC settings are as you recommend. Restarted the car with IAC plugged back in and idle goes to about 2K and stays there. If I touch the throttle, rpm's go up and don't come back down.

Unplug the iac and use just the throttle stop screw get the idle as low as you can without it oscillating then start adjusting the timing and air fuel ratio. What you're looking to do is set the timing between 15 and 20 and get the air fuel ratio to a point that the car likes. For instance my e303 cam likes the idle at around 16 air fuel ratio this is because overlap makes the wideband read leaner then it actually is. Then start backing the idle down with the screw rinse repeat. Remember more timing will raise the idle less timing will back the idle down

I attached the log and updated tune. Before I started it up I unplugged the IAC and switched to open loop, and let it warm up (it oscillated until warm), then I adjusted the idle screw & fuel so that it was idling @ 15-16.5 AFR which the car liked much better, and I was at 19*-20* timing. Now that it idles okay without the IAC plugged in, what do I do? should I start driving it? or plug the IAC back in and try adjusting it?

Attachments

• 2016-10-03_11.26.39.msl
    5.9 MB · Views: 105
  • CurrentTune.msq
    112.6 KB · Views: 136
I bought the mspnp2. Do I have to use diyautotunes serial to USB adapter ? If I can buy locally I'd rather not wait on shipping.

Also, my lenevo doesn't have a disc drive....any ideas on ways to get the CD that came with the PNP loaded ? Figured I could take the files off via another computer and drop them on mine.

@90sickfox you don't have to use their adapter, though I'd suggest making sure the one you buy uses an FTDI chipset as the Prolific chipset versions are known to be trouble makers (unfortunately they also seem to be more common).

That's probably the easiest way to get the files off the CD, use another computer and either put them on a USB flash drive or an SD card or upload them to the cloud or something so you can then get them on your laptop.

Reactions: 1 users
So I've got an adapter on order. They say a base map came on this pnp2 but I cant find one. I did download the tune a91what sent ( Thanx Steve ) but It lists a lot of warnings for changes. How do I load it so it comes on when I cut tunerstudio on. Or will I have to select a tune every time I cut tunerstudio on ?

Also, I can make a test harness for this thing. Does tunerstudio act different when plugged into a powered MS box ?

OK I've asked enough...time to drink and go night night [emoji481] [emoji42]

You can download their base tune on their site. There is only a "stock 5.0" tune for each PNP version so that's your starting point unless you use the one a91what attached here instead.

The warnings are probably because the tune was created for a different firmware version (can't say for sure without knowing what the warnings are). If that's what they are, they will go away if you create a project for your firmware version and then re-save that tune (File > Save As) after opening it in your project.

The tune will open when you open TS any time it's connected to the ECU. It won't when it's "offline" (not connected to the ECU). TS does act differently when connected to the ECU since most stuff is inactive when not connected.

So I've got an adapter on order. They say a base map came on this pnp2 but I cant find one. I did download the tune a91what sent ( Thanx Steve ) but It lists a lot of warnings for changes. How do I load it so it comes on when I cut tunerstudio on. Or will I have to select a tune every time I cut tunerstudio on ?

Also, I can make a test harness for this thing. Does tunerstudio act different when plugged into a powered MS box ?

OK I've asked enough...time to drink and go night night [emoji481] [emoji42]
Yes. the tune I sent has all of the base maps built as well idle control setup and the fuel/spark tables are pre scaled for boost.
It is a firmware discrepancy, when you load a tune if there is any difference between the tunes you will get a warning.
I use firmware 3.4.2 with tuner studio Ultra I suggest the 3.4.2 firmware or 3.4.0 for best functionality

Yes. the tune I sent has all of the base maps built as well idle control setup and the fuel/spark tables are pre scaled for boost.
It is a firmware discrepancy, when you load a tune if there is any difference between the tunes you will get a warning.
I use firmware 3.4.2 with tuner studio Ultra I suggest the 3.4.2 firmware or 3.4.0 for best functionality
I'll download firmware when I get home from work. My adapter won't be in till tuesday. Glad you guys are here....the MS forum sucks.