Electrical Stick Computer In Original Aod Car

TOOLOW91

If you're the village idiot what's that make me?
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
S.I.NY
Ok so I swapped my car along time ago an was looking to run my a3m in it . Found the thread over on another forum detailing pictures of how to re pin the harness for a 93 computer . I did and what I got was a pin 46 burned on the ECU so does anyone know how to pin this thing correctly ? I am
going to solder the comp board and fix it but would like to try this again to complete the swap .

• Sponsors (?)

I have an A9L in my '87 that was an original AOD car that I converted to a 5 speed manual. It is also mass air converted. Other than the pin swap for the mass air conversion, I did not need to do any other pin swapping to use either the A9L manual trans computer or the C3W Auto trans computer.

I have an A9L in my '87 that was an original AOD car that I converted to a 5 speed manual. It is also mass air converted. Other than the pin swap for the mass air conversion, I did not need to do any other pin swapping to use either the A9L manual trans computer or the C3W Auto trans computer.

Yeah but the MAP sensor vacuum cannot be connected to the intake manifold after the swap.

Reactions: 1 user
O2 Sensor harness interchange and modification

Originally Posted by 302EFI

Revised 16-Oct-2011 to add O2 sensor harness warnings
The wires for the 02's and low oil did not change throughout the years, they are all in the same place.
The main ones you need to worry about are (on the harness end (ECU) that plugs into the 02 plug) is:
\- 1. Lightblue / yellow
- 2. White / Purple
- 3. Purple / Yellow
The White/Purple & Purple/Yellow gets looped for a automatic ECU
The Purple/Yellow & Lightblue/Yellow for a manual ECU

See http://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...manual-auto-differences-year-differences.html for more O2 sensor wiring harness info

Basic premise to use with transmission swaps:
Only run a 5 speed trans O2 harness with an A9L. Do not run an Auto O2 sensor harness with an A9L. Doing so will damage the computer’s internal signal ground.
Only run an Auto trans O2 sensor harness with an A9P in a car that has an Auto trans. Using a 5 speed trans O2 sensor harness with an Auto trans will cause no crank problems.
See http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/749974-computer-issue.html#post7490537 for Joel5.0’s fix to the computer internal signal ground.

90 model year harness only works with 90 model cars without inspection/rework.
The 4 cylinder O2 harness uses 4 wire O2 sensors. It probably won’t work correctly without modifying it.

has anyone figured out if they can pull codes or not because i was told that if you do not re pin the 02 harness for a grounded nss instead of a 12v which is what fries pin 46 then you cannot pull any codes

i pinned it as the diagram on corral shows the blue and yellow wire and thats what fried pin 46 on my a3m. If you read it says 91-93 are pinned that way which is what the comp is from

My computer is from a 92 if I remember right. My car is an 88 Cali mass air car. I can hook my Snap on scanner to it and it works just fine. I have a functional check engine light as well. The computer I removed was the original as near as I can tell, so no one has repinned anything here.

I have an SD '88, converted to MAF with a '93 Mustang GT computer, and I can hook my Solus Pro scanner to it and get codes no problem.

Why deal with Corrals threads, anyways? JR has an amazingly thorough MAF conversion on here IIRC.

not converting to maf boys I wanted to use my stick computer in my car that I converted from auto to stick , and jrs post even above points to that thread hence why I did it that way

After I decided I wanted to try another ECU to correct some of my drivability issues I found this out. I ran the number on my old ECU and found it was a factory 88 Mass Air ECU for an automatic. Which made NO sense cause the car is a stick. I figured it had a mass air conversion up till this point. After some research I found it was indeed a California 88 mass air car with an automatic. Converted to 5spd. Not mass air converted. Anyhow, I couldn't find a A9L at the local swap meet so I bought the automatic one and threw it in. It runs 90000+ times better. Then I read afterwards that had I put the A9L in it I would have burned it up had I not repinned or replaced the O2 harness. Got Lucky