Stock Cobra Intakes vs. Ported Lower

Keep it Simple Please. Comparing Stock Cobra Intake (94-95) vs. ported lower (Don't include Typhoon-Need low end tq/hp with heavy car). I guess that with the cobra you will have to at least change the strut tower brace and adding to the overall cost. My theory is that the difference in track times/hp/tq can easily be made up elsewhere with the money saved.

Note:The intake will go with a set of Thumper Heads I'm looking to pick up after taxes and with stock cam. Additionally, I drive a convertible and have no intention of every adding a roll cage. IMO, there are VERY FEW 94-95 convertibles that look good with a roll cage.

• Sponsors (?)

A better matched combo would be Thumpers and a Cobra. The GT40 sytle lower flows about 210 right out of the box and Thumpers flow about the same. I believe tmoss' ported lower flows about 190. IMO, the money would be well spent with a Cobra. There is always room to grow with the Cobra. If you don't want to spend the money, then go for the ported stock lower. There are some incredible numbers being put up by people with tmoss' lower.

Joe

I have dynos of two similarly moded cars that show my intake has better torque in the low-mid range and the Performer (almost same as Cobra) had better mid-high (6,000 rpm) torque - as expected. On those two dynos, my lower and the Performer averaged the same HP/TQ over the 2,000-6,000 rpm band. So, it's a matter of where you want the most torque and how much you want to spend.

I think the 190 is the point at which the upper flows since its max is around 190 meaning the ported lower with the stock upper together flows 190, I think the whole gt40 (including the upper) flows like 190-200 depending on which upper you use (exploder,cobra, gt40). At least that is what I got out of all the facts that Tmoss posted up.

BTW. Tmoss I hope to finaly get my Bronco back together real soon, all I need is some luck with the weather here :rlaugh: (that might happen). That means I will actually be able to get you my stock upper to look at if you still want it for research. What a past few months its been.

Drop it off anytime - glad to have it. If I'm not home, leave it on the porch. Thanks!

wcdavid302 - you seem to be new to this forum. You'll find there are some people here that will say the tmoss ported lower or Thumper heads are never a good deal. And then there are the people that use them, like them, and make good power with them. Set your long term goals and buy with that in mind. If you never plan on going past stock E7, Ported E7 or stock GT40 heads, a ported lower will work well for much less money.

If you never plan on going past stock E7, Ported E7 or stock GT40 heads, a ported lower will work well for much less money.

But Tom, did you not say that Rio's intake was a restriction with his ported E7's? That is why he upgraded from a ported lower to a ported explorer, is it not?

Killer-I'm limiting myself due to my long range plans for the car. I went to the track a few times this year ([email protected] w/.506 light) for the first time and would like to go a few times each year, I noticed on the track rules for the two strips in my area state that convertibles need a roll bar for 13.99 and faster. The thumpers are coming from someone in my area going to different head setup. My original plans were for gt40p heads. I actually have a long range plan on where I'm going with the car and not just slapping stuff on as I get money. The plan is for the car to retain the stock appearence (no roll bar); except maybe putting leather seats; and be driven mainly on the street (no street racing, I'm not a college kid anymore-wife, kid, another on the way). I'm also on a budget at this time.

The plan: Be able to run into the thirteens occassionally (but not enough times to get kicked off), the body and interior are in great shape and keep it that way, get the hp around 265-270 with the power in the midrange, and play with the suspension to have it handle nice and tight. Although I toy around with the idea of thumpers/tmoss/347 stroker kit just so I can lift the hood and appear totally stock while people scratch their heads...

tmoss-I've been reading this board for around a year, I usually check in at stlmustangs. You've responded before to me over there (I log on as H82CRKU on other boards). I'll probaly be contacting you this summer (You going to WFC?)

Killercanary said:
But Tom, did you not say that Rio's intake was a restriction with his ported E7's? That is why he upgraded from a ported lower to a ported explorer, is it not?

Rio's may have been intake restricted, we'll see when he gets his new dyno and track times. I'll be looking at average torque over the 2,000-6,000 rpm band to compare. The newer Explorer intake will definately move the power band up due to the larger cross section. I ported the front two runners on his new intake just enough to balance the flow. If I was selfish, I would have told him to use it as-is so I could get a comparison of my ported work to the stock Explorer, but I consider Rio a friend and I wanted the best for him. I did the work gratus for him. He's been great about sharing his results with us. We saw how far the tmoss lower went (255RWHP, 311RWTQ) with his combo and Thumpers, now we'll challenge the Thumpers.

wcdavis302 said:
tmoss-I've been reading this board for around a year, I usually check in at stlmustangs. You've responded before to me over there (I log on as H82CRKU on other boards). I'll probaly be contacting you this summer (You going to WFC?)

Good, I'll look forward to hearing from you. Absolutely will be at WFC.

well i bought Rio's old intake and with my mostly stock heads i really like it, it really has some low end pull, and it drives great on the street like that, really torqy, yet it still pulls high into the rpm. One thing, i don't take my car to the track very often, actually rarely is a better word, it is just a fun street car. If i decide to buy a new gt this year i plan on going diff heads and intake and also cam. As killer and everyone always says just figure out what you want to do and stick with it. BTW i don't think asking these kind of thumper t-moss questions is a good idea. If you don't know why you will learn-------LOL