street rim/track rim pics

blksn955.o

Founding Member
Mar 15, 2002
st.louis mo 314
Not 100% sold on the pro stars at this point...I think its the tires in the back and the fact the car is not as clean but it just does not look as good as with the TTII's. Thinking about selling the 15x8 rears for some 15x10's if some 275's MT DR or 26x10.5 ET streets dont fill out the rear better. I have some dinky 235's on them now...

anyway..

street
6422320081_large.jpg

6422320091_large.jpg

6422320090_large.jpg

track
6422320093_large.jpg

6422320095_large.jpg

6422320094_large.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

What size are your street tires/wheels? Can't tell if you're running a smaller setup or maybe have a little taller springs than mine, but I'm definitely partial to the TTIIs. ProStars never did anything for me, but I agree that they don't fill the wells...

(I think you were looking for input?)

yes looking to see if I am nuts in not liking them as much as I used too, I want to clean it up and see if some clean-er pics help make it look better. I plan on just tearing up the 235 bfg DR on the welds to get some wider DR like posted above.

The TTII's are 17x9.5 in front and 17x11 in rear. I have bullitt springs/shocks so the drop is not that much...not as 4x4 as stock but not slammed either. I traded my rear yokohama's and some cash for some 315 bfg DR and that is why I want a more aggressive tire for the welds.

I think you're car just sits a little high for those ProStars. This is how mine looks with the ProStars and slicks.

IMG_2995.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

What's the backspacing on the back rims? It doesn't look right. I'm running a 26x10 M/T on a 15"x10" with a 6.5" backspacing rim.

Kurt

The pro stars look a hell of a lot better than the ttII's. I keep debating if I want to convert my notch to 5 lug and go with 'big n little' pro stars.

I actually like the look of Draglites better. I would have gotten them for this car, but I got a really good deal on the ProStars.

Kurt

The rims are 15x8 with a 5in backspace IIRC. The skinny rear tires also dont help...235's they are smaller than the stock width tires. I do like the way 15x10 in rims look but want to see what a wider tire looks like on my 8's first.

I want to clean it up a little and go to the same location I took the TTII pics the place I went with the pro-stars was not level and the car is sitting on an angle with the small lot I could not get any from far-ish away/down low with the angle of things.

I love the TTII's and always have with the soft lines of our year cars. Only other rim I would think of getting would be a saleen hyper silver 18x9 in front and 18x10 in rear.

I dont know for sure, but the front tires on your pro stars look very tall also... There is just something not quite right about the tire sizes you have mounted. If you get different tires, I think the pro stars arent that bad looking.

I honestly don't think the 15"x8" rim is a bad thing unless you want to run a really softwall tire. A 10" slick really needs to be on a 10" rim, or it gets a little squirly. I think you should go to a 275 wide drag radial out back, and you will be happy. I do think those back rims could have done with an extra 1/2" of backspacing. But if that's what you have now, I'd work with it.

Kurt

I honestly don't think the 15"x8" rim is a bad thing unless you want to run a really softwall tire. A 10" slick really needs to be on a 10" rim, or it gets a little squirly. I think you should go to a 275 wide drag radial out back, and you will be happy. I do think those back rims could have done with an extra 1/2" of backspacing. But if that's what you have now, I'd work with it.

Kurt

Buddy has some 10.5x15 ET streets on 8in steel wheels no issues. Actually a trick we learned 4x4ing is you can run lower psi with better rim grip with a slightly wider tire on narrower rim. With the 10.5's on 8in rims we had no issues with squirly-ness but were talking sub 115mph trap times as well. I really want to do some MT DR in a 275/50/15 but it is a toss up to ET streets.

Now that I look at it the fronts are almost freakishly tall. They are MT streets. What type of front tires do you guys have?

An 8" rim works, but it's not optimum. I had an 8" rim before, and I was unhappy with it. When I switched to a 10" rim, the car got a lot more stable. M/T tech recommends running a 10" rim with a 10" slick.

Kurt

No worries 4jenna

What size tires do you run in front 4jenna and revhead? My MT street front tires dont hold air long and the tread is getting worn. I have heard the VW tires are ok on the street but really not stable at the track at speeds over 100mph. Looking at what tires/size to go with next.

I use the old Metric tires 165/R15. They are originally for 70s BMWs, and some other imports. I think I got this set at Firestone, but they said they were discontinuing them. You really have to hunt around for them now. I know it's usually under $100 to get both tires with mounting. I have never had any trouble with them being unstable.

Kurt

They actually don't have a profile measurement. I know it sounds weird, but it's just 165R15. You have to hunt them down now, because most manufacturers don't make them anymore. I've seen them on ebay, and someone on Chevelleforums said you can still get them at Pep Boys.

If you can't find those, you can substitute a 165/80R15, or so I've read on different websites.

Kurt