street tune or dyno tune

Stang01GT

Apr 20, 2003
New Jersey
If you had the choice to go to a shop that just street tunes the car using sct or a shop that dyno tunes using sct which would you rather and which one is better and safer. There really isn't that many shops around my area to go for tuning, i can go to laroccas and they'll dyno tune, i'll prolly be going this route, or go to wicked or matthill and they'll street tune. O by the way its for a 2001 mustang gt, with soon to be installed v2-sq,

• Sponsors (?)

laxdman20 said:
Dyno'ed is the only way to be sure everything is tuned SAFE. Its more money, but you are going to get a better tune overall.

well they are both good ways to tune but i believe that a street tune would be more dead on than a dyno tune cause you are doing a tune on actual driving and on what the car will see from day to day and also the car is under full street load. Where as at a dyno its a controled atmosphere, but i have no take in it they are both good ways to tune.

street tune with a wideband is the best way to go. 1st of all, you don't hit full load on a dyno depending on the dyno used. i think mustang dyno's have some type of load in the drums, but even then, i don't think it will cause the car toi hit full load. 2nd, if the car is an automatic, you dyno the car with the torque convertor locked up. on the street, it's not always locked up at WOT. that can throw off your a/f ratio.

Either way is good...much better than a mail order. If I had the choice of a cheaper street tune or the more expensive dyno tune I'd go with the street. The results are pretty much balls on even.

03ghoststang said:
well they are both good ways to tune but i believe that a street tune would be more dead on than a dyno tune cause you are doing a tune on actual driving and on what the car will see from day to day and also the car is under full street load. Where as at a dyno its a controled atmosphere, but i have no take in it they are both good ways to tune.

Where were you guys the other day when I was getting bashed on for saying the same thing? I tune with my wideband and data logging from a PC and I said that was the best way to go and everybody told me I was full of crap. I feel alone in the world today.

I used to tune myself also.....but after soo many upgrades you need to rebuild the computer.....need to set the rpm increments by adjusting a/f's and timing throughout! Unless you have the full race version SCT programmer for the laptop you will never get it right! Just from a full dyno tune the car picked up 48 more rwhp by 4300 rpms and 60 more RWTQ by 4100rpms! Also gained 25 hp on peak and 40 TQ on Peak!

"ED"

My tuner street tunes.. he uses a wideband and SCT pro racer package. It is funny after all the dyno runs you see load never changes, but on the street you get to see the different engine loads and adjust for many more variables. If the street tuner is reputable by all means go with him.

Do not street tune your car. You are guarenteed to be down on power compared to an actual dyno tune. Dyno tunes are way more accurate. I actually had this discussion with a tuner a week ago. He used to tune his vehicles using street tunes. He could never break into the 10's. He bought his own Mustang dyno so he could tune his car for his race program. He gained 60+ HP and 80+ torque just from dyno tuning. He said he broke well into the 10's his first pass after the tune. That sold me.

Listen if the tuning shop has an eddy current resistive dyno they can simulate ANY load on the car... i've watched many times as my local shop has dyno tuned a street tuned car and got an extra 25-40 rwhp and 35-50 rwtrq. There is only one way and that is dyno tuning.

Ok let's just take a look at a few things.
1. Dyno can go as fast and spin the rollers as fast you need to. With a loading dyno it does simulate road conditions. It is repeatable so if you do a change you can see if it made a difference.
2. Tuning should be done in your 1.1 gear so just how fast will the car be going on the STREET in your 1.1 ratio (i.e. 4th gear or drive) at redline? I'm going to take a stab and say well into the go to jail do not pass go speed range. Plus I might trust my tuner but turning him lose in my car that I'm responsible for if he wipes out at over 100mph and kills someone nope not that much trust.
3. I've never said you can't street tune. I've always said you have to REALLY KNOW what you’re doing to tune your own car. Kinda like the people that ask if they can set up their own gears. If you have to ask the question then your not qualified to do it.

3. I've never said you can't street tune. I've always said you have to REALLY KNOW what you’re doing to tune your own car. Kinda like the people that ask if they can set up their own gears. If you have to ask the question then your not qualified to do it.[/QUOTE]

I would have to agree with this completely.

I've decide to go to kevin at wickedmotorsports for a street tune, he uses sct software and a wideband, and everyone that goes to him gets excellent results. There really isn't that much shops around my area, laroccas is prolly the closest place with a dyno but i've heard the main guy there quit and the place is going to ****. As for dyno tune and street tune, im goin with the street tune because its probably better for driveability, i would think a dyno tune is more for just max power, thats not what im goin for i just want my engine to be safe for a long time and im not hitting the track up everyday, its my daily driver, i'll keep everyone updated when i get everything done, it'll prolly be the end of july

QDRHRSE said:
Where were you guys the other day when I was getting bashed on for saying the same thing? I tune with my wideband and data logging from a PC and I said that was the best way to go and everybody told me I was full of crap. I feel alone in the world today.
If you are fully practiced at tuning your car then sure, go right ahead. Most of us (like me) couldn't make heads or tails of all the variables required in a good tune. A friend of mine has been tweaking his tune for months now and still isn't right on his Chevy. But he is getting better...

A good tuner can do the tweaks on a dyno or on the street. There isn't much difference in the two if you know what you are doing. The dyno is just safer and more convieneint than trying to do WOT runs on the street. I could see where a tuner would suggest a dyno tune since 1) it is easier on him and 2) he is paying off that note...:p

a safe tune on the dyno, isnt always a safe tune on the street. A safe tune on the street, WILL ALWAYS be a safe tune. The whole thing about "picking up more power on a dyno" from an already proven street tune is just BS. If the same guy is doing the tuning, and tuned it off the street or even the track, it will not have anymore left in it, especially if its safe, compared to having it strapped down to a dyno. You guys really gotta be kidding me with some of the stuff you say on here. Most of its all hearsay from other shops or tuners just trying to get your job. Please try to keep some of the misleading info from swaying people to shops or individuals, based on non-credible info.
Engine fundamentals are simple, a motor will only produce so much power with a given amount of timing and set a/f ratio.....period. I dont care if its on a dyno, the street, the track etc. The only thing you get from a dyno is a nice sheet to have your numbers on. Dont get me wrong it does aid in tuning, but its not the only way to tune.

On a side note, even with a "loaded" dyno, you still arent seeing wind resistance, true air density, correct coolant temps, IAT temps, because you are standing still with no "significant" airflow compared to a moving car cutting thru the air. Most of your NMRA, FFW racers all tune their cars at the track, or shall i say "on the street".