strut install

livenfine

Jun 9, 2003
I know, I know. I'm supposed to search first, but my last 10 searches revealed nothing.

I'm installing Koni SAs next weekend. Need step by step instructions on replacing struts. Does someone have a link? Many thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Use an impact wrench to loosen the top bolt. Support car on stands. [I used the front of the frame rails] place a floor jack under the lower control arm, right under the spring will do. put some pressure on the jack, this will hold the spring in, the spring can kill you if it pops out! Remove the caliper and support it, I hung it off a piece of coat hanger. Remove the rotor, and dust shield behind it. Take the two bottom strut bolts out, they will be tight. I used a 15/16" end wrench, but its really metric. I found a 5' piece of 2" pipe and used it as a breaker bar. I bent my wrench, so choke all the way up on it.

To get the top nut loose, I cut the steel band on top of the dust shield off and pull the shield down exposing the shaft. Then I clamped on it with vise grips and held it from below while I broke it loose on top. I did this all by myself, but your results may vary. I was about ready to give up and buy an impact. :rlaugh:

jerry beach said:
Use an impact wrench to loosen the top bolt. Support car on stands. [I used the front of the frame rails] place a floor jack under the lower control arm, right under the spring will do. put some pressure on the jack, this will hold the spring in, the spring can kill you if it pops out! Remove the caliper and support it, I hung it off a piece of coat hanger. Remove the rotor, and dust shield behind it. Take the two bottom strut bolts out, they will be tight. I used a 15/16" end wrench, but its really metric. I found a 5' piece of 2" pipe and used it as a breaker bar. I bent my wrench, so choke all the way up on it.

To get the top nut loose, I cut the steel band on top of the dust shield off and pull the shield down exposing the shaft. Then I clamped on it with vise grips and held it from below while I broke it loose on top. I did this all by myself, but your results may vary. I was about ready to give up and buy an impact. :rlaugh:

Thanks! One of my buds suggested getting new bushings for the top of the strut. Would you recommend that as well? Who sells a good one?

I found that when I converted to 87+ spindles and rotors that my alignment was way off. This obviously led me to realize that the strut affects alignment. But I guess it wont change at all as long as you dont mess with the caster/camber plates, and since your not changing your spindles. I believe all the suspension company's like steeda and stuff make aftermarket bushings for the strut.

livenfine said:
Thanks! One of my buds suggested getting new bushings for the top of the strut. Would you recommend that as well? Who sells a good one?

Mine were in great shape, but I am not using them. I used the ones that came with the MM coilover kit. I still have the bushings that came with the CC plates and they are new and I have no use for them either. Let me know if you want any of them for the price of shipping. I dont think the MM ones will work for your stock plates, they are different.