stupid emissions

desertcox05

Oct 3, 2007
south atlanta
just failed Georgia emission tests for the 2nd time. high Nox. Does anybody know what causes it to fail. 95GT, 5.0, 5 speed, stock motor, timing 10 degrees, bbk headers, bbk catted h-pipe, stock muffs, air pump and egr still in place. help please

• Sponsors (?)

Run the car before taking the car there to get the cats hot, but don't let them idle the car and get the temp way up (what they did with mine). Next time back I pulled the spout, drove it for a bit, then did not let them let the car sit and idle, pass with ease.

I've always passed easily and my mods are similar, minus the headers. Stock headers on mine.

Clean the MAF, I guess. Maybe 02s are going bad? Failing cats will cause problems for sure.

If you keep your stang maintained really good, all should go well.

Good luck and let us know what worked.

well I finially took it back to get tested again. reset timing to 10 deg. btdc and pulled the spout. this time passed with flying colors. everything lowered by about 50% most noticeable was NOxwhich went from 900 and1400 to 160 and145 respectively. outstanding!!!!!! But it did drive like garbage bogged really bad and wouldn't run over 4000 rpm but hey it passed and all is right in my world. THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED

Run the car before taking the car there to get the cats hot, but don't let them idle the car and get the temp way up (what they did with mine). Next time back I pulled the spout, drove it for a bit, then did not let them let the car sit and idle, pass with ease.

how can you make them not get in the car and let it idle? We dont have emissions here luckily. Do have inspections so cats are required....unless you know who to go to.

With the spout disconnected, does the car idle rough or do anything different / strange compared to normal during the emissions test?

I know they let it run for a little bit at 1500 rpm or so and also around 2000 to 2500 rpm or so, as those are shown on the report. Nothing unusual sounding with the spout pulled?

You should plug up to a code reader. Maybe something is about to go bad or something is not right. Even if there is no CEL you could still get codes. Mine was running lean and I got 2 codes even with no CEL. Fixed it by cleaning MAF with MAF cleaner. Passed right away.

with the spout disconnected the car idled just fine the only prob came was at @4000rpm the car started missing or cutting out. the tester doesn't need to rev it the high only to about 2500rpm max. it was just a pain to drive to the shop since i have 4:10 gears. when you put the spout back in be careful not to drop it in the fender ask me how i know