Fox Subframe installation cost?

Just as a follow up to everything above I took my 89 Vert out for the first time today since installing them and I'm happy to report that again the result of adding SFC's to a Fox is WOW! I wondered how much of a difference it would make on a vert and it appears to be quite substantial. Cowl shake appears to have been eliminated, the ride feels firmer, throttle induced oversteer seems to come on quite a lot easier than before. All in all the effort has been worth it.

Not a very detailed photo of the SFC's but if you look close you can see them in there. The exhaust turndowns are temporary, I had planned on getting my IRS installed this winter as well but some needed parts were backordered for over a month. Since warm weather is rapidly approaching I decided to delay the install yet again.

The turndowns do alter the sound of those flowmasters though, it really brings out that flowmaster bass that I do love so. I may just end up leaving them even after the IRS install is complete.

convertible sfc exhaust.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

and to think,....your car would be so much nicer, so much more tolerable to the rest of the poor bastards that have to sit next to you in traffic if only you’d ditch those noisy assed flow masters, and put tail pipes back on the car

Dont.....decide....to.....NOT.....put....tail pipes back.

Reactions: 1 users
Didn't expect this thread to blow up..
I'd be happy paying 200-300 for a quality job. Just seemed 420 or 560 (shop rates are 140 so 3-4 hours). Seemed a bit much. I'll prep as much as I can and let someone with the skills/know how get after it!

Just as a follow up to everything above I took my 89 Vert out for the first time today since installing them and I'm happy to report that again the result of adding SFC's to a Fox is WOW! I wondered how much of a difference it would make on a vert and it appears to be quite substantial. Cowl shake appears to have been eliminated, the ride feels firmer, throttle induced oversteer seems to come on quite a lot easier than before. All in all the effort has been worth it.

Not a very detailed photo of the SFC's but if you look close you can see them in there. The exhaust turndowns are temporary, I had planned on getting my IRS installed this winter as well but some needed parts were backordered for over a month. Since warm weather is rapidly approaching I decided to delay the install yet again.

The turndowns do alter the sound of those flowmasters though, it really brings out that flowmaster bass that I do love so. I may just end up leaving them even after the IRS install is complete.

convertible sfc exhaust.jpg
Why am I seeing the entire front subframe and the entire bottom surface of the rear subframe. The connectors are supposed to sit right on top of both "connecting" them together. All I see up front are two little tabs? Not sure what they are connected to in the rear. What exactly do ya have there?

Why am I seeing the entire front subframe and the entire bottom surface of the rear subframe. The connectors are supposed to sit right on top of both "connecting" them together. All I see up front are two little tabs? Not sure what they are connected to in the rear. What exactly do ya have there?
I'll get a couple more pics tomorrow but the front has an angled piece that welds lengthwise along the front subframe as well as a gusset that welds between the sfc and the back of the front subframe The rear is similar, you just can't see it from this pic.

and to think,....your car would be so much nicer, so much more tolerable to the rest of the poor bastards that have to sit next to you in traffic if only you’d ditch those noisy assed flow masters, and put tail pipes back on the car

Dont.....decide....to.....NOT.....put....tail pipes back.
Oh this isn't a racecar just a nice weather top down attitude adjuster but dayum I miss the deep runble of flows. Got 'em on the racecar and man that thing sounds great at full song.

I'll get a couple more pics tomorrow but the front has an angled piece that welds lengthwise along the front subframe as well as a gusset that welds between the sfc and the back of the front subframe The rear is similar, you just can't see it from this pic.
From that pic, no part of the actual subframe connector touches the subframe. True? I'm just curious.

From that pic, no part of the actual subframe connector touches the subframe. True? I'm just curious.
The tube up front has an angle bracket, the rear has a bracket. They both weld to the factory subframe. You add a gusset about a foot behind the front. The jacking rail is separate or you can buy them preassembled.

Subframe
1615085524283.png

Complete with jack rails and cross ties.

1615085699974.png

A shot showing the tie to the back of the front sub. .

1615120453784.png

This one shows the front of the rear sub where the GW SFC welds to. This is just clamped in place at the time, there's an additional gusset that goes between tube and sub above the end of the tube when finished.

1615120576623.png

Reactions: 1 users
Have done many, it is not a 400.00 job. Best bet is do some of the work yourself. Remove the pass seat and drivers seat & rear seats then either remove the carpet or roll it up towards the center of the car. The connectors usually weld to three spots on each side which is the unibody frame, with the carpet rolled to the center, so you don't have to mess with the part under the console you will move it out of harms way. One weld is the rear where the rear lower control arms connect, on a fox it is a flat piece of metal, the next is one or two midpoint locations (usually just one) determined by where a tab on the SFC is located, the third is on the front of the subframe rail. There is a bracket that attaches to the rear front seat screws on both sides that also needs to be positioned and welded. If your connectors are more involved than just the single front to back one, more welds and positioning will be required Actual total welding with a MIG less than 15-20 minutes both sides, a tad longer if using TIG. Paint etc needs to be removed from each weld location with sand paper or a grinder (I use a 4.5" grinder) Remember there will be setup, paint removal/ repaint, placement by clamps and supports. Always check for fire immediately after welding. A spray bottle works good to slightly dampen the carpet before welding. If your floorboard has holes there is more danger of fire. Also I always do them on a 4 post lift where the vehicle is supported by the wheels. I also check tire pressure to have the vehicle in the best position. You want a good weld!!! Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user