Summit Short Throw Shifter

• Sponsors (?)

The shifter install is pretty easy. The hardest thing will be getting the old shifter out. It glued down good. We tried prying it out by hand. We ended up using a small crow bar and gently prying it out. I don't know much about the Summit shifter. I have a MGW and it's amazing! Any after market shifter is better than stock. Be careful while pulling out the old shifter. There isn't much room to work and a lot of sharp metal edges. Could get one hell of a nasty cut. Pearl02

Well, we searched several sites for instructions and the closest to this shifter was the B&M. In fact, after a very thorough inspection, I would not be surprised to here this is a B&M. Construction is identical just doesn't have the B&M logo on it. Summit does out source to produce this unit....hmmm...

Anyway, the B&M instructions worked great and the unit went in with no problem. The old shifter came out easily with the help of a flat head screw driver. Just wedged it in and poped it off like a cap on a beer.

Results....
This shifter is awesome. We got the cheaper of the Summit Shifters and the throws are great. They are actually shorter then the B&M we have in the GTO. Doesn't feel too mechanical but we also put Royal Purple Syncromax in the trany at the same time. I would highly recommend this shifter over the other over priced alternatives.

:Word: I think I might get one. They are a good bit cheaper than others and I'm not looking for something 'amazing'.

I just want somethin' better than the stock doo doo.

You won't be disappointed. We are pretty amazed with it! Install was easy and I recommend changing your trany fluid while doing your install since you can drain it and then dumb it in through the shifter while you have it off.

5 speed Tranny fluid replacement and shifter

when changing the shifter, how do you replace the fluid? how much do you need to use, and where do you drain it? Also, how long did installation take? How do you tell what tranny you have? I here the 01 GT came with 2 differt ones? thanks. one more thing, what fluid do i use, i will probably use royal purple, but what weight?

rugman1969 said:
when changing the shifter, how do you replace the fluid? how much do you need to use, and where do you drain it? Also, how long did installation take? How do you tell what tranny you have? I here the 01 GT came with 2 differt ones? thanks. one more thing, what fluid do i use, i will probably use royal purple, but what weight?

There are two plugs on the tranny. the top plug is to fill the tranny to lower plug is to drain the fluid. It's pretty simple. Check your owner's manual for specs.

If you change the shifter you can dump it in when you have the shifter off. Just buy Royal Purple Syncromax. I used 4 bottles of it. The drain plug is on the bottom of the trany. You can't miss it. Be careful when you open it, it will gush out everywhere. The whole thing took about an hour and a half because I took my time and cleaned the crap out of everything.