Supercharger vs. auto trans

xbone

Nov 21, 2006
Is the stock auto trans strong enough to handle another 120 hp without problems? Same question for the rear end? Am considering a Novi or Roush charger and don't want to kill my tranny.

• Sponsors (?)

Guess ill see if the trans even holds up under normal use, I have to take the friggin car in for TSB 06105, fluid leak. Just great, brand new and now off to the dealer to be ripped apart and glued together. Wonder what other problems will pop up afterwards.

The auto trans seems to hold up just fine. I've driven the car in the following video quite hard, and made 20+ track passes in a row without cooling off. It made 152 rwhp and 131 rwtq more than it did stock and runs exactly 2 seconds faster in the quarter mile than it did stock (14.2-12.2), with the only performance mod being an Intercooled Magnacharger (stock exhaust, manifolds, cats, etc.)

Click Here

-Rick

The auto is stronger than the manual and will actually be easier on your rearend since you won't be able to launch as hard.

According to the FSM, the 5R55S uses the OD band when in 2nd gear, and according to Lidio, it uses synchronous shifting for 3rd and 4th gear.

The TR-3650 5-speed manual is rated for at least 360 ft-lb, possibly 390 ft-lb or more.

Pete Gonzalez who has the quickest s-197 stang with an auto told me that he has blown 2 or 3 at around 450 rwhp. He has also experimented with different internals to get him where he's at now.

The auto trans seems to hold up just fine. I've driven the car in the following video quite hard, and made 20+ track passes in a row without cooling off. It made 152 rwhp and 131 rwtq more than it did stock and runs exactly 2 seconds faster in the quarter mile than it did stock (14.2-12.2), with the only performance mod being an Intercooled Magnacharger (stock exhaust, manifolds, cats, etc.)

Click Here

-Rick

Wow, that whine is kinda loud! Not sure how much of that I could take.

I'm thinking about a Saleen blower. Wonder if it whines that loud. Do you know?

Click Here

-Rick

:drool: blower whine :drool:

I prefer the sound of Vortech's or any centifrugal style. They make a little whirring at idle and then go in to near silence as you haul away. You do get a nice whooshing sound at most, on some.

The roots style "Back to the Future" sound is not too annoying. That's what the stock Cobra's sound is like.