Swapping a 4.6L from an 02 into an 00

79pace

something stupid will fall out of my mouth
Founding Member
Jul 21, 2000
Tulsa, OK
It looks pretty straight forward and I have swapped plenty of engines but I usually do apples to apples easy but want to make sure this is as straight forward as it looks. Were there any differences that would require us to pay attention? I know one is a windsor and one is a romeo but should this be an easy swap? The 00 is locked up so definitely no saving it. Have two complete cars on hand. Both are GT mustangs so I should have everything I need. We plan on doing timing chains, guides and gaskets while we have the engine out. What else should we do? Keep in mind were on a budget.

Also ended up with some extra parts. Have a full intake setup with 24lb fms injectors in it. I also have a C&L upper intake plenum. Both cars appear to be stock. Is there something free and easy we can do for more power or cheap power while were doing this?

• Sponsors (?)

We plan on doing timing chains, guides and gaskets while we have the engine out
IMO this is a wise thing to do whenever the motor is over about 140k Miles.
What else should we do? Keep in mind were on a budget
NEW motor mounts. The Mustang is very hard on motor mounts.

NEW oil pan gasket. Only because it's so hard to change/repair a leaking oil pan gasket after the motor is in the car.

Last edited:
Pan gasket is on the menu already. Have two cars to choose so planned on testing out all 4 motor mounts in the vice to see how stiff the rubber is and give them a visual inspection and use the best from each car unless they look like hell. Buy may change those as well.

The engine going in has 135k miles on it and the one coming out has 155k

Any difference in the computers? 02 is a convertible 5 speed car and the 00 is a hard top 5 speed car.
If you are looking to swap PCM's, this project is in trouble. For this to be a simple swap, the goal is to make the donor motor to look the same (electrically) as the original. That is why the original wiring harness and fuel injectors are re-used.

In the best of times swapping a PCM in a modern car is a big deal when the PCM is exactly the same as the original. Once any model year differences are added to the mix, the difficulty level goes to 9.

OBTW, as proof that I know what I'm talking about. My daily driver is a 2000 Mustang GT. I did a motor swap from a 2003 Grand Marquis (Windsor to Romeo). That was over 100k miles ago. The PCM and wiring harness is the original that came with the car.

Last edited:
And that is why I was asking. I am not wanting to swap the computer but I asked questions that no one really answered. So the 00 and 02 engines are the same, sensors, cams and everything? I was just wonder if there was any reason I should swap the computer with the engine or if Ford did anything new in the 02 that would make it something that I would want to do. I know the Computer is tied into the PATS stuff and the column and keys and all that. But I do have two complete cars so didnt know if I should look at swapping over more than just the engine. thats why I ask. No worries. I will do just the motor complete.