Swaybar removal

livenfine

Jun 9, 2003
I changed the endlinks on my swaybar, then tried to change the bushings. I can't get the bushings off. The nuts on the top side of the bolt just spin and I can't stop 'em. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

From the factory, there are plastic retainers installed which inevitably brea kand allow the nut to spin. You need to finish cracking off the rest of the plastic (if it's still there) and put a wrench on the nut. They will come right off.

Two words that will change your life: VICE GRIPS Well, they may not change your life, but put some flat jawed vice grips on the shaft, that should hold them still so you can turn the nuts.

90mustangGT said:
Two words that will change your life: VICE GRIPS Well, they may not change your life, but put some flat jawed vice grips on the shaft, that should hold them still so you can turn the nuts.

Ummm, they changed my life 20 some-odd years ago. :shrug:

Learning the magic of vice-grips is a special time in every boy's life...

GOTIT. Thanks for the input. Here's what I did:

From the bottom, you can see the plastic retainer that 89MustangGX spoke of. Use a screwdriver and hammer to push the retainer out allowing access to the hardware on top. Use a 5/8" wrench for the nut above and a 1/2" deep socket below. Stock bushings must be cut away and the new ones come sliced to put over the swaybar. Use a jack of some sort to push up on the swaybar in order to align the bolts.

My old ones were thrashed.