Sweet crap in the morning this is bad.

• Sponsors (?)

According to some posts on their forum it looks like it might be true. The GTs might have defective cylinder heads and they might be delayed two weeks. I only gathered this information from what I read though so it's not set in stone.

yellow5.0cobra said:
I dont understand...

Test first, build later.

Not build first, test later.

jeez.

WHEN o GOD WHEN will they learn?

The 3V heads have been in production for over a year. Since the 3V head is used in the F-150, Ford has probably shipped well over 1 million 3V heads.

This is NOT a new product testing issue. It is a manufacturing process. Anytime you build something in high volume something can go wrong in the process and you have problems like this.

It sounds like Ford has already identified the problem, is putting a fix in place and the impact on '05 Stang shipments will be minimal. :nice:

Agreed this is not a new product testing issue. It effects motors that are not in the new mustang. It is something that would have been caught in all the test mule work they did.

I'm not entirely sure this will have any effect on the mustang. I mean they have already identified the problem. It sounds like they have the solution(Since they are screening vehicles to find the defective heads.). And honestly I realize that they may have started building mustangs a week or so ago to fill the line. But how many are going to have engines in them? And since they aren't going to be shipping them. It looks to be no mustangs coming out with the bad engines.

And given all the paranoia on here about not buying the first year cars. Is it really a bad thing that they have already found the problem and are fixing it. I think even a 2 week delay is worth it.

I'm a bit skeptical that it's as bad as BON makes it out to be for two reasons:

1. I haven't seen this news story anywhere else
2. Robert Lane (the publisher of BON) has a hard-on for smearing Ford whenever he can.

BON is like the National Enquirer of the auto industry. Sometimes there's a grain of truth in what they say but it's never quite as bad as they make it out to be.

Production problems like this happen ALL the time. When you are building 3 million vehicles a year there are problems of one sort or another on a daily basis. This disruption sounds so short that if it wasn't for BON, no one outside of Ford would ever know about it.

Seems like one of the headaches associated with a new model. I have said for a while, if I was in the market for a new GT I'd wait a year or so for them to work out the kinks.

On a large production run like the F150 or Mustang, it is common to have production issues. When you are making thousands of heads a day a small percentage would almost have to be defective. A well designed production system should prevent too many issues from occurring in the first place, but it should also kick out defective parts before they would ever be assembled into actual vehicles. It bothers me a little bit that these made it onto cars or trucks.

However, the issue with the GT"40" heads is much worse if it's true. The GT is a limited production vehicle with a high price tag. They are pretty much hand built to order compared to the typical production vehicle, and I would expect overwhelming attention to detail on a vehicle of that caliper. We are talking Porche and Ferrari not Camaro or Firebird. You cannot afford to slip, even a little bit, at that level. In addition, if they can't build a low volume vehicle then what exactly can we expect from their more pedestrian products.

I would think after the little power snafu on the 99 Cobras Ford would pay attention to the details. Having ranted a bit, I will have to agree with others that BON is a bashing site in most regards. However, they have provided some accurate information on many occassion. I hope that they have the situation contained and no one will have problems out on the road.

63_Fairlane said:
On a large production run like the F150 or Mustang, it is common to have production issues. When you are making thousands of heads a day a small percentage would almost have to be defective. A well designed production system should prevent too many issues from occurring in the first place, but it should also kick out defective parts before they would ever be assembled into actual vehicles. It bothers me a little bit that these made it onto cars or trucks.

However, the issue with the GT"40" heads is much worse if it's true. The GT is a limited production vehicle with a high price tag. They are pretty much hand built to order compared to the typical production vehicle, and I would expect overwhelming attention to detail on a vehicle of that caliper. We are talking Porche and Ferrari not Camaro or Firebird. You cannot afford to slip, even a little bit, at that level. In addition, if they can't build a low volume vehicle then what exactly can we expect from their more pedestrian products.

I would think after the little power snafu on the 99 Cobras Ford would pay attention to the details. Having ranted a bit, I will have to agree with others that BON is a bashing site in most regards. However, they have provided some accurate information on many occassion. I hope that they have the situation contained and no one will have problems out on the road.

Notice the word "alleged" in the title of the BON article? Take it with a grain of salt until it shows up on a more credible web site.

CatmanJJ said:
Seems like one of the headaches associated with a new model. I have said for a while, if I was in the market for a new GT I'd wait a year or so for them to work out the kinks.

You obviuously did NOT read my above post. The 3V engine has been in production for over a year. Most likely over 1 million 3V engines have been built so far (2 million heads ). If this problem is for real, it is NOT a new model headache.

Ford builds over 1 milliion 4.6L and 5.4L engines per year. That's an engine every 30 seconds of every day 365 days a year 24 hours a day. If anyone thinks they can do it better than Ford, go start you own auto company!