t-5 conversion, cause lord knows we need another thread on this

HDTony

Oct 15, 2010
Plainfield IL
Hey Gents, I had found a good thread in here on this subject with a link to a kit for doing the conversion with a new pedal, cable conversion parts etc. but I cant find it now, and the search engine on here doesn't seem to like the word "t5" anyone know where this info is hiding?

• Sponsors (?)

Really??? I had a local guy tell me i needed to do a cable conversion? I have a 3 speed in there right now. If i can just use my stock setup that would be great!

You're kidding. Find another mechanic. I have seen three-speed cars converted to T5 5-speed in two hours. You don't even have to remove any of the linkage or the bellhousing to do the job.

3-speed out
T5 adapter plate attach to bell
T5 in

You'll need a T5, T5 adapter plate, T5 crossmember, T5 shift lever & knob. Your speedo cable gear will need to be changed at some point for accuracy.

The driveshaft becomes a tight fit, but usually does not require shortening.

You can find it all here:
http://www.mustangbarn.com/catalog.pdf

I am running a clutch cable in mine, but I have a late model 302. If your running one that has provisions for the Z bar, then I would probably just stick with it.

I'm pretty sure it's been around at least that long, but it's not a well-known part.

TRA-658-513%2010-10-2.JPG

Hey cool blue, now im curious, will the input length be an issue bolting up to a 289 block as yhays what the t5 will be going behind. Is there a length measurement from the front of the bellhousing i should be aware of?

It depends, you have 3 choices:

1. Late model bell housing & stock T5
2. Early Bell housing, spacer plate, stock T5
3. Early bell housing, T5 with shortened input shaft

So if you are using a late model bell your T5 will bolt right in, if not you have option 2 or 3.

It depends, you have 3 choices:

1. Late model bell housing & stock T5
2. Early Bell housing, spacer plate, stock T5
3. Early bell housing, T5 with shortened input shaft

So if you are using a late model bell your T5 will bolt right in, if not you have option 2 or 3.

IMHO, option 2 is the easiest. Like posted above, you can do it in a couple hours. I prefer the original Z-bar because the cable kits route all over the engine compartment.

1. You will need a different clutch as its hydraulic, and the fulcrum is backwards(I think)
2. May need the drive shaft shortened, mine cost $75.
3. Never heard of anyone doing that.

Of course, this will require you to hack a hole in your floor, since it will move the whole transmission, including the shifter, forward.

that is completely INCORRECT. I have a Tremec 3550 (which has a bigger case then a T5), it was a direct bolt in to replace my 3-speed manual. I didn't have to cut anything on my car to make it fit, and that includes the stock driveshaft since the 3-speed and 3550 are the same length.

this gets better and better. I had assumed there was now way the original shifter hole would line up. to be honest it was the least of my worries. I like to weld. but if it does fit, even better saves me a bunch of work. I do need to find a nice shifter though and leather boot, right now the way my car came the factory shifter is just sticking through the factory hole. whatever boot was there disintegrated many years ago and the previous owner didn't bother to replace it.

Let me ask you guys this. is there a shifter combination that is the preferred setup for t-5's in these old cars?