T5-289 Bellhousing?

OK, I just picked up the T5, really happy w/ the purchase only $75 and looks to be in great shape. Its from a Thunderbird (1352-155), I know not as strong as the Mustang T5, but Im on a buget.

My question is, do I have to buy a bellhousing from a Mustang or can a get one out of a 85-90 ford F150 that was runing a T5 and a 5.0L. Mustang bellhousings run about $75 and I know I can get one from a F150 for closer to $25. Will it work on my T-bird T5 and My 289? From what I understand the 289, 302, and 351 blocks have barley changed and bolt patterns are still the same is this true? Thanks a lot for any help!

Also see:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=557377&highlight=thunderbird

• Sponsors (?)

You can use the Stang's bell, but you'll need an adapter/spacer for the T-5. It's got a different bolt pattern from the Toploader and the input shaft is a good inch or two longer. Or use a regular T-5 bell from an 85-95 Stang. The F150 bell won't work, it's bolt pattern is the same as the Toploader/Tremec/SROD and it's larger to boot, it'll be a 164 tooth bell, requiring a larger flywheel.

If you're going to keep the mechanical clutch linkage, you'll need to use a toploader bellhousing and matching flywheel along with an adapter plate to the T5. If you're going to swap to a cable clutch setup, you'll need a T5 bellhousing from a 83-93 Mustang. The 94-95 T5 bell won't work. F-series trucks didn't have T5s so nothing from there will work. One other thing you'll need is a special bushing for the 4-cyl T5 input shaft to fit into the 289 crank.