T5...is this one any good?

rc4mike

Oct 10, 2006
I picked up a 70 mach 1 with a T5 in the trunk. Seller said it was from a 90 mach. Guess i trusted him and only now found out that it has ID tag # 1352-114. Checking various decoders that means its from an 85 2.3L based mustang. Oops, will this trans work with my soon to be purchased 351 crate making about 400HP? Bet not.

thanks
mike

• Sponsors (?)

if you want to try it out it won't cost you nothing except labor time assuming your i4 trans has minimum value. it will work but can break easily. Even more likely as your trans is probably weaker version (with synchros made of a yellow metal)

Man, that chart is hard to find. Here is the link:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?p=7278447

Check out your tag number. Also notice that the input shaft is longer than the ones normally used for the swap. More importantly, the input shaft diameter is smaller than the stock pilot bushing. You CAN get a bearing that will adapt the 4 cyl input shaft to the hole in the end of the crank. I had to do this once. Hopfully never again. I got it at Applied Industrial Tech. http://www.applied.com/ but anyplace that sells bearings should be able to find the beainring givin the inside and outside diameter. In summary: find a better T-5...

I think BarnStang is right. I think you could rebuild that T5 and add the hardened gears, ect that you'd need to handle all that power, but I think it probably wouldn't be cost effective. Basically you'd be tossing everything out but the case.

It might be better to sell that T5 off and use that money as a start towards a stronger version.

People break their v8 T5 with a mildly modded 302(me included). I have no doubt if you drive the 351 like it's intended to... the i4 t5 will break. What mainly brakes the T5 is hard shifting and hard launches. You really don't have much to loose by giving it a try but I would suggest not using a T5 completely and look at a T3550, TKO 500 or TKO600.
Kevin

It's weak of course, but the more important problem with using it is the fitment. It's not a good model to swap.
Hmmm, good question. It could be used as a core, but basically all that would be left is the case I think. Either D&D or Hanlon (I think D&D) had T5's for $999. By the time you souped up a 4cyl T5, you could easily pass that amount. Would be better to save and get a TKO.

I was thinking the 3550 will have issues with your tranny tunnel due to its size. It would be the same for the TKO trannies because they are stronger versions of the 3550.

So, I'd suggest a beefed up T5. You should post a thread, or see what info you can dig up from the 5.0 section of stangnet.

I picked up a 70 mach 1 with a T5 in the trunk. Seller said it was from a 90 mach. Guess i trusted him and only now found out that it has ID tag # 1352-114. Checking various decoders that means its from an 85 2.3L based mustang. Oops, will this trans work with my soon to be purchased 351 crate making about 400HP? Bet not.

thanks
mike

Last time I checked they didn't make a Mach in the 90s.

I would either get a T5z or buy an Gforce/Astro T5.

The T5z will last as long as you don't launch it hard and your tires aren't too sticky. If you get a Gforce you can abuse it and it should still last.

Since you have a 70, you have a little more room then a lot of us do. You should be able to fit some of the larger trannys in there without much to worry about. I still vote for the T5's simply because it will be an easy swap and they are all over the place.

I believe the biggest difference for the T5z vs the WC t5 is that it has a captured roller bearing between the input and output shafts. It is rated for 30ft lbs more torque but that only bumps it to 330. The 3550 or any of the TKO series may require some modification to the trans tunnel but from looking at my 70 that has a c6 I really don't know for sure. A Gforce or astro upgrade will probably be the easiest for you because we know that the t5 will fit with no problems. They may not be the cheapest solution because after all the upgrades to make it handle 400+ hp the cost goes up quick.
Kevin