T5 transmission problem PLEASE

fiveoho

15 Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
TN
T5 transmission problem PLEASE HELP

i noticed a very simliar recent thread on this but wanted to post mine bc i did not want to hi jack theirs...

a friend and i just done a t-5 swap on my 95 with a t-5 from a 95 cobra. we took everything out down to the flyweel. i had the flywheel that came from the cobra resurfaced. the clutch is a centerforce and only had about 12k on it. we replaced everything and installed the 32k cobra t5 and went for a test drive. vibration is horrible. its very noticeable at crusing speeds. the clutch engages fine and the trans shifts ok ( noisy tho...or about the same amount of noise my 110k gt trans made ) but no grinds. there was no vibration before with my stock t5.

a few people have mentioned that my driveshaft is out of balace....but how could that be if it did not vibrate before? could the splines not be lined up the same? does that make a difference? is there a wrong way the input shaft goes into the motor? am i doing damage? im afraid to drive it. could exhaust rubbing the driveshaft cause that much vibration?

another thing someone mentioned was the input shaft bearing....could that be a problem on a 32k trans?

PLEASE HELP

• Sponsors (?)

Recheck all the bolts.I had a vibration when i got done with my swap.I took it to work and put it on the lift and the tranny to bellhousing bolts back out.I tighted them up,this time with air, and the car has no more vibrations.

seems to be more rpm related.

we looked at it tonight. we marked the driveshaft b4 we took it out but still did not put it back in with the marks.....in a hurry i guess. we aligned it and took it down the road. its better. still some vibration tho. you can sit still and rev it and u can feel it. i guess now its exhaust? when we bolted the exhaust back on after the trans swap, it didnt really go back together so smooth and is hanging in different places than before.

another thing-

when the clutch is in and i am feathering the throttle to take off something whistles. the best way i can describe it is kinda like a charger. it sounds cool but i dont like it bc i dont know what it is. not 100% sure but i think it only does it when the clutch is mashed in and throttle is applied.

thanks guys

good you found the problem... the ds can be trickey... im glad to hear everything turned out good... im not sure what the noise could be maybe an exhaust leak??? ... just hope its not the trans its self.... the vibration might also be the harmonic balancer.... was it there at all b4 the swap???

thanks adam

no- there was no vibration at all b4. when we repositioned the ds, that helped alot. i really think and hope exhaust is the main problem now.
what inside the trans would whistle?..........or were u just meaning something else causing the whistling?

also, this 32k cobra t5 is not any quieter than my 110k gt t5. it goes into gear perfect, no grinds....just noisy. are the cobra t5's any noiser or is this just the nature of a manual trans? several ppl have told me ( even a trans guy ) that manual trans' WILL make some noise just bc its metal against metal :shrug:

is the nature of a t5 just a little noisy?

note: i also have a steeda tri ax.....could the aluminum shifter be transferring some noise?

btw: adam, glad to hear about your motor/tranny purchase. hope all works out well for you. i know you had quite a few miles on your last.

got the exhaust re positioned and tightened down. almost all vibration is out.

now....whats that darn whistle when the clutch is engaged and the throttle is feathered??!!!

thanks wytstang. i appreciate the help. my u joints were replaced about 1.5 year ago ....i think. that would be something fairly inexpensive and easy to do if the vib is still there.

as far as my tri ax, that will transfer more noise?- that makes me feel better. 4th not making noise....is that because its 1:1, or something like that? my 4th you can still hear some whine but like i said, maybe im just too anal :shrug:

if the car is sitting still running with the clutch not engaged and in neutral, the gears inside the tranny are turning correct ? with the clutch engaged and in gear, no gears are turning?

so when downshifting to like 3rd at say 2500, you will hear some whine and thats ok? going thru the gears, you will hear some whine? other than whine the other noise i hear is hard to explain. just sounds like gears meshing i guess, no grinding sounds just metallic contact ?

as for the throttle body, no BBK here. is the whistle something that you would worry about? i did not do it until after we swapped flywheels, bells, trannys

thanks

if it is rpm related and it does it in neutral, you can eliminate the tranny, driveshaft, and clutch from being any part of the problem. my guess would be the flywheel.

vibrates while going down the road ( rpm related ) and also vibtrates while sitting still ( also rpm related ) with the clutch depressed in or with it just in neutral.

still think it may be the flywheel with the vibration happening while the clutch is in or out?

-note: ordered a new FMS oem 50oz flywheel with bolt and dowel kit from summit. should be here tomorrow.