T5 Whine

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by marine_80, May 6, 2013.

1. marine_80

marine_80 Member

Replaced input shaft bearing. After install now tranny whines very loudly, in 1st 2nd and 3rd. Ive heard some advice but id like details on what part or parts need replaced. Syncros are fine. I planned on getting new input shaft and small parts kit (roller bearings, thrust, and some clips). At very least what part would cause it to whine in those three gears only.

2. marine_80

marine_80 Member

just need someone to tell me which part would cause it to whine loudly so i can order correct part . thank you

3. HuskerNation

HuskerNation Member

The wrong transmission fluid would cause a whine. Mine has a slight whine now, which it never did. When I took mine apart, the previous owner ran gear oil. I put Full Synthetic Mobile1 ATF. 6 months later, it hasn't gotten any louder, and still shifts perfect.

4. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Advanced Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Did it whine before? Mine started whining as a result of low trans fluid (Previous owner) and it wore out the bearings, allowing play in the gears and causing them to not mesh properly. If this happens, the gears are worn very quickly and the whine will not go away without replacing those gears that are worn. Mine whined when I bought the car. I kept the fluid full, and drove it like this for several years before having the money to replace the trans. I have read other post where people have had the same problem, did the rebuild, still had the whine, but the trans functioned fine. Try emailing, or calling, someone like promotion, Astro, any of the big name T5 rebuilders. They all told me the same regarding having to replace the worn parts.

Joe

5. marine_80

marine_80 Member

it did not whine before. now when i say its loud i can hear it 2 blocks away when someone else is driving it. Its full of tranny fluid. i wonder when the input shaft bearing went out that it caused the gear on shaft to get worn enough to cause the noise.

6. lxman

lxman Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Do not run gear oil or you will have rebuild it again later run ATF fluid.

7. 2000xp8

2000xp8 Mustang Master

Whining is rarely a minor issue.
    In many cases it's cheaper to get another transmission than it is to fix it. A small parts rebuild kit along with a gear set turns out to be quite a bit of money. I know ruined a few t5's that weren't worth fixing when you could get another for $500-$750.

You probably aren't going to get an answer here as for what to buy, it's going to need to be completely taken apart and inspected, any opinion you get online is just going to be a guess.

8. RacEoHolic330

RacEoHolic330 I like to dress like a pretty girl SN Certified Technician

Although yours started whining after you performed work to it, my transmission started whining and then 3 months later after the whine got worse and worse....boom. Every gear except 4th was gone.

If it sounds somewhat like this, you're on borrowed time and something is definitely wrong:
    [​IMG]

9. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Advanced Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Ah yes.....that is a familiar sound! Glad that is gone now.

Joe

10. 2000xp8

2000xp8 Mustang Master

I had the same thing happen, somehow i actually made it home like that.

11. RacEoHolic330

RacEoHolic330 I like to dress like a pretty girl SN Certified Technician

Yea, I was 30 miles from home when mine blew. Got caught at 4 traffic lights. 4th gear from a stop really does a number on your clutch.

12. Rick 91GT

Rick 91GT SN Certified Technician Site Sponsor

Albums:
    What did you set the preload on the input shaft at? You truly want no preload on the input bearing with a max of .002"

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

f8tlfiveo likes this.
  13. Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5 Car used in adult film "Highway Gangbang-InDaButt" SN Certified Technician Founding Member

So no whine in 4th gear?

That tends to signal an issue with the mainshaft roller bearings between the input shaft and the mainshaft. These are the 15 or so loose bearings that the mainshaft snout sits in inside the input shaft.

The whine is usually the loudest in 1st and reverse due to the differential turning speeds between the two shafts being greatest. It will be quieter in 2nd and 3rd as the shafts get closer in speed...and silent in 4th due to being 1:1.

usually it's caused by low fluid level or improper fluid. The fluid doesn't get to the bearings and lubricate it properly and the shaft of the mainshaft scores up and you get the whine.

The fix usually requires replacing the mainshaft as the tip gets chewed up pretty well.

You can try changing the fluid or making sure it's topped off, or replacing the bearings, but inspect the tip of the mainshaft and if it looks damaged you'll need to live with the noise or replace the shaft

The damage will look something like this..which resembles pitting
    [​IMG]

14. v8only

v8only Active Member

Excessive wear in 4th and cluster can cause this too... pull the Trans apart u will need to inspect all gears

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

15. lizardsman

lizardsman Member

Very close to what I was gonna say. My car was whining very loud in fifth, couldn't hear it in other gears due to pipe. It was the input bearing and race, and the 15 needle bearings. When I bought the car they had changed the clutch, but not the pilot bearing.

16. marine_80

marine_80 Member

Correct. fluids are topped off with ATF. zero noise in 4th and 5th. got caught up in home renos so had to put car on hold. all gears (teeth) looked good. going to replace input shaft and roller bearings along with thin thrust bearing. if main shaft is snarled up ill probloly bring it to work and polish it. Being a machinist has its perks.

smitty79 likes this.
  17. jrichker

jrichker StangNet's favorite TOOL SN Certified Technician Founding Member

Rick's right: it takes a shim kit and some specialized tools to get the preload set on a T5. Anytime you replace the input shaft bearing, you need to check the preload.

See http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/onlineorder/product.asp to download a FREE service manual for T5 or Tremec 3550/TKO
    You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – http://get.adobe.com/reader/

See page 6-11 & 6-12 of the T5 manual for the shim procedure.

See http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/ or http://www.ddperformance.com for parts

A T5 rebuild kit with syncros, bearings and other small parts costs about $160. It does not include any gears or shafts.

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/ also has a video on how to rebuild your T5 or Tremec. It costs about $20, and is worth every penny of it.

I did a Tremec 3550 rebuild, and it wasn't that difficult. The video was an immense help, and I would recommend viewing it. At $20, it will give you an opportunity to look and decide for yourself if you think that it is something you want to try to do.

T5 Shim kits – best product I have seen in a while… http://www.5speeds.com/t5/shims.html
    “The Peel ‘n Place T5 World Class shim kit makes shimming T5 counter gear and main drive gears very easy.”

18. marine_80

marine_80 Member

Thanks alot everyone. Ill get a shim kit as well and set specs correctly.

19. marine_80

marine_80 Member

Well to be honest it was my first time digging into a t5, and i made a rookie mistake and did not set any preload. i was unaware of it. shame on me i guess. However COULD improper preload cause the whining?

20. James.Little

James.Little Member

I just got my clutch replaced, the shop told me there was gear box fluid in the transmission, I drove it around at least 3k miles like that, and the car had over 50k miles on it when we bought it. I never really heard a whine come from the transmission. The shop did put the correct fluid in the transmission.