T56 SWAP mechanical speedo issue

OneSlw5point0

Apr 23, 2010
Wichita, KS
I have a T56 in my 91 fox with an auto meter guage cluster in the dash. The speedometer is mechanically driven. I've been working on getting the speedometer working. First thing, the Variable Speed Sensor plugs into the passenger side of the new T56 instead of the drivers side like the stock T5. So I researched it and found I needed a speedo cable from a 92 F150 for the correct length and the same hook ups on the ends. Well, I fished the longer cable through the car and it is the proper length. But then when I went to plug it into the VSS it wouldnt fit. I then noticed the end of the cable that pluggs into the VSS is rounded on the stock cable and a flat circle on the F150 cable. Now Im trying to find the correct VSS that will accept my new cable.

Has anyone on here made this swap and went with a mechanical speedo?
What are my solutions?

534875182_1890644410_0.jpg

This is the variable speed drive I have, fits into the T56 no problem, And it accepts the end from the rounded stock speedo cable sitting next to it no problem. But will not except the end from the F150 cable.

View attachment 217024
This is the end of the longer F150 cable. The dimensions are almost an exact match to the stock end. Only its a flat circle and does not fit into my current VSS. The other end of the F150 cable that plugs into the speedometer fits perfect.

• Sponsors (?)

Well that was the only one I could find in town. After I posted this thread I started shopping online for the F150 cable, I couldnt blow up the pictures very big but RockAuto had two F150 cables 92" long. So i went ahead and ordered both. They look like the have the beveled end that is on the stock cable end, so hopfully one of those works for me.

If not I guess im going to return a bunch of S*** and get my grinder out.